Sky set to announce Ultra HD Box? - news discussion

about time Sky!!!

Let's just hope they do things properly this time, unlike 1080i, HD that looks like SD, audio so compressed that it's hideous to listen to....

I was speaking to a Service Excellence Consultant (!) about something else and mentioned this.
She'd never heard of it but had to when I gave her the settvfree address.

I know someone who works for Sky, and speaking to them 6-12 months ago they mentioned that they were looking to introduce a new box that was more of a media box. I believe the idea was to get more into the gaming market, but also potentially adding functionality more akin to an Android box.

Take all of this with a massive pinch of salt, just relaying what he told me.

I'd like to see a box that could be used as a playback box in a room without a link to the satellite dish. It could be connected to the recording boxes by network connections.

4K sets a TV free? Hmmm ok.... :D

Cloud recording/streaming and media server like functionality streaming to the whole house and mobile/tablets seems much more fitting...

I bet it wont be cheap....
Probably not as we are still being charged for the HD pack, £10 a month is it?

How we are still charged for this I'll never know as surely HD will essentially become standard def (if you get what I mean) sooner rather than later

Let's just hope they do things properly this time, unlike 1080i, HD that looks like SD, audio so compressed that it's hideous to listen to....

My nan has the HD box and it is utter garbage. I will be amazed if this works properly.

Someone ought to tell their designers that not using a fixed width font when you're counting up numbers looks properly pants...

ps. Sky sucks. I cry a little bit inside every time I have to use the damn thing. Utterly crap.

As much as it pains me to support Sky, I find their more recent boxes with 1tb and 2tb capacities to be very good.

It's all relative. If you've never used anything better then I guess they seem fine.

They are complete pants when it comes to dealing with clashes and conflicts and in fact completely useless unless you use the smartphone app.

They have absolutely no 'understanding' of the concept that there are multiple instances of the same channel (+1 / More 4 / HD / not HD and so on), and do not use any intelligence whatsoever when it comes to scheduling recordings. They don't understand seasons or episodes, and will merrily record the same episode over and over again, or completely ignore the fact that the programme is available an hour later or a day later on a different channel.

It's all but not fit-for-purpose and quite staggering how little development it's had over the past 20 years.

You may have noticed that I don't like it :D

I know what you mean about clashes, my freesat box handles that better. Usually.

And my old BSB box was superior but I do feel that the more recent boxes are faster than the older ones, and they are much improved from the old Astra boxes so some progress in 20 years.

I'm betting that the first SKY 4K broadcasts will be good quality to hook people, then quality will gradually decline as they squeeze in more and more fabulous 4K shopping channels :p

They cant even broadcast decent HD quality, what chance is there of UHD? Just another greed exercise now that 3D is gone.

I know someone who works for Sky, and speaking to them 6-12 months ago they mentioned that they were looking to introduce a new box that was more of a media box. I believe the idea was to get more into the gaming market, but also potentially adding functionality more akin to an Android box.

Take all of this with a massive pinch of salt, just relaying what he told me.
There have been plans with many companies for eight tuner boxes to act as a hub, do recordings etc. with small boxes that don't have satellite tuners but connect to the hub by Ethernet.

It's a matter of enough customers wanting multi room set ups.
This is about the global market, not the UK.

Spoke to a Sky engineer during a recent installation about their future plans. He told me with the new box you would be able to start watching a show in one room, go to another room (with multiroom) and resume the show excatly were you left off.

Looks like Sky will be more streaming and cloud focused this time around. Makes sense with the threat of streaming services like Netflix and Amazon Instant.

However, if it isnt 4K based wont be signing up.

Probably not as we are still being charged for the HD pack, £10 a month is it?

How we are still charged for this I'll never know as surely HD will essentially become standard def (if you get what I mean) sooner rather than later
As you know the HD sub has subscription channels attached to it which is why it's still there. Just makes it easier to work out how much to give the likes of ITV and C5 as the amount is based on the number of subscribers.

I would imagine that this will have to be their entry into 4K - if not, no matter what spin they put on it SKY will start to look more and more like a busted flush.

Any chance of waiting to see what they say before everyone gets all negative?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom