Sky second TV connection via magic eye

CHRISMUR

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am posting this thread on the Sky section of the Forum because it seems that my existing Magic Eye / Remote Control signal extender is causing bad picture interference to a newly purchased Hitachi TV`s picture.

Have any Members ever heard of a Magic Eye / Remote Control Extender which had been in use for more than 12 years without any kind of problem on a Samsung LCD TV causing interference immediately when connected to a new TV - in my case a new Hitachi Smart TV - when ANY Remote control in the room was used ?

I have just bought a new Hitachi 55HK6100U Smart TV to replace a Samsung LCD TV which malfunctioned and when I use the TV Remote to do anything including controlling volume when watching Freeview channels the picture pixels are disrupted.

The TV is in my Bedroom and when I am watching Sky via the RF2 Sky box output / coaxial cable & Magic Eye and I use the Sky Remote for anything there is really bad interference on the screen.

Even using Remote controls for other appliances such as Hi-Fi equipment and an Air Conditioning unit causes really bad interference on the TV screen / picture whether on Freeview channels or on the Sky reception.

I seem to have isolated these problems to the Magic Eye because I removed it from the coaxial cable connected from my Sky Plus box RF2 output to the new Hitachi Bedroom TV and connected the cable directly to the TV Aerial socket - problems solved regarding absolutely no interference on any channel Freeview or on the Sky analogue signal - but of course it cannot be left without the Magic Eye.

So the existing Magic Eye [not a Sky original model] which had worked flawlessly for more than 12 years is somehow causing really bad interference on the new TV when the Eye detects ANY Infra Red Remote control signal.

I have ordered 2 different manufacturers versions of the Magic Eyes and I am hoping that perhaps one of them will not cause the really bad / very irritating interference to the TV picture whenever ANY Remote control is being used within the Bedroom - although I am guessing that these Remote control extenders are probably all of the same basic design and simple operation ?

I was able to correspond with one of the Sellers of an original Sky Magic Eye [as used to be supplied by Sky years ago] and asked him whether he had ever received complaints that any of the Magic Eyes / other types of Remote control signal extenders were causing what I have described - he replied that he had been selling various types for 10 years - hundreds of items - and had never heard of them causing the interference / disrupted pixels that I described

I contacted the TV Retailer`s Technical Helpline but none of the Technical Support staff had ever heard of this problem and they stated that as I had almost certainly proved that it was being caused by the Magic Eye / Remote Control Extender by disconnecting it and plugging the coaxial cable from the Sky Plus box directly into the TV aerial socket it was not a fault with the TV so they could not help further.

I am not convinced that I have definitely proved that and I am guessing that it could be that the TV is somehow too sensitive to signals from ALL Remote Controls via the Magic Eye connection sensor but the Technical Support staff could not see how that could happen.

I am quite desperate to try and get this problem solved not only because the picture interference although only momentary / only when I am pressing a remote control button has really started to irritate me [brand new TV - problem never happened before on previous TV] but also because the Bedroom is very disrupted - it has had to have a lot of furniture moved out because of wall mounting the TV and I have to leave it like that until I receive and try both types of the Magic Eye / Remote Control Extenders that I have ordered which means that I have to get to the back / Aerial connection of the new TV.

Although I am hoping that one of the new Magic Eyes will solve the problems I am doubtful because I am guessing that these devices are all very basic with very similar electronics and the existing one was working perfectly for about 12 years on my previous TV so I doubt that it has suddenly malfunctioned at the exact time that the previous Samsung LCD TV did.

The problem then will be trying to convince the TV retailer`s Technical Support team that it is the Hitachi TV that has a fault and also because I would find it very difficult to take the TV down from the wall mount bracket and physically take it back to the Store I might have to live with the irritating interference unless Technically minded Members advise me that whatever is causing what I have described could actually damage the TV ?

I would welcome any comments - especially if any Members have ever experienced something similar to this on a TV ?

Sorry that this message is so long - I felt that I needed to fully explain to hopefully be able to get some knowledgeable Members replies Please.

Chris

Remove the TV Link and change the Sky channel using a mobile phone and the Sky Sky+ app.

Hello JayCee,

Thanks for your message - because I am retired I have no use for a Smart phone [or mobile phone apps] so I don`t have one.

Just so I can understand your suggestion - do you mean that someone who had the problems that I described could use their Smart Mobile phone and a Sky + app as an alternative to a Sky remote control to operate a Sky plus box from another room ?

The TV picture problems that I described in my original post are now solved:

As I mentioned in my original message I was very sceptical about my existing Magic Eye causing the TV picture interference on the new Hitachi TV when I used any remote control on the Bedroom because it had been working correctly for over 12 years on my previous Samsung TV.

I was wrong - it was the existing Magic Eye causing the problems.

I mentioned previously that I had ordered 2 different manufacturers Magic Eyes so that I could see if either of them solved the problems - they were delivered yesterday - both solved the picture interference problems.

One is a Sky original TV Link which I have now connected to the new Hitachi TV - the other is a Viewi brand - both receive the Sky remote control signals without causing the picture interference that I described and neither cause any interference when either the Hitachi TV remote control or any other remote control in the Bedroom is used which was a major problem with the previous Magic Eye.

As my previously used Magic Eye had not caused any problems for over 12 years when connected to the Samsung LCD TV I am wondering whether the new Hitachi HK6100U Smart TV was somehow over sensitive to signals received by the Eye every time ANY Remote control infra red signal was detected by it ?

I cannot imagine that when the Samsung TV malfunctioned that also caused the Magic Eye to be damaged so I wonder if the Samsung TV was somehow not as sensitive to a possible long term existing fault on the Magic Eye as the Hitachi TV is ?

I realise that is something that has to remain unknown but I would be surprised if the Eye had been damaged when the Samsung TV fatally malfunctioned ?

So this was a very simple Fix but I was convincing myself that it was a problem with the new Hitachi TV - not the existing Magic Eye which I thought was working correctly.

Thanks again JayCee for your suggestion - I would appreciate a reply to my question about using a Smart phone and a Sky + app please.

Thanks to all other Members who read my thread - I hope that the details might help some future readers who might have a Sky Magic Eye problem similar to what I described.

Chris

Last edited:
Glad you got it fixed.
Yes to your query re operating a Sky+HD box with an app on a smartphone.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom