Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Sky+ second RF out signal - Freeview? And other queries!

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Neville Street, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Neville Street

Neville Street

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Does the Sky+ box loop through the normal RF signal on the second RF out?

I currently use a "magic eye" in the kitchen from the second RF out of the Sky+.

I am planning to put a "T" in it as it passes through my bedroom en route. I want to connect a second "magic eye" to this and use a (yet to be bought) 17" LCD tv to this. I have in mind getting a built in Freeview TV (either the Humax or the Tosh). So the questions are:

• Will the Freeview signal make it through the Sky+ box and on to my new TV?
    • Can you run two "magic eyes" on one feed?
    • Will I need some kind of in-line signal booster as I will be running two "magic eyes" on one feed (and will a booster muck up the Freeview signal)?

I currently have multi-room and use an old sky box upstairs, but would like to save the £10 a month as we hardly watch the TV up there. It is also ugly to have a TV and a Sky box hanging off the bedroom wall when a sleek LCD TV will attach to the (substantial) wardrobe door.

The reason I am interested in the Freeview signal is because I think I will notice the drop in picture quality from the current RGB signal I watch using Sky multiroom, so would only be using the Sky+ feed when watching recordings. Most of the "live" TV that is watched on the bedroom set will be rolling news or terrestrial (or possibly E4 - so the Humax could win out as it has a Top-up-TV slot).

Thanks for your help!! NS

2. Neville Street

Neville Street

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    How depressing - 43 views and no answers. Sorry if my post is a bit dull :)

Break it down to just the one question - does the normal terrestrial aerial signal emerge unscathed through the Sky+ box?

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Yes it does and assuming the SKY+ RF is set to a clear frequency you will be able to tune an analogue tuner into all the analogue channels plus the SKY+ analogue channel.

Not 100% sure how the digital frequncies will react but if there are no clashes between RF frequencies externally and locally they should be ok but I think it's always best to feed a clean digital RF source into the Freeview box although I've read in these forums that it can be run through various RF distributions systems with or without additional boosting.

4. Neville Street

Neville Street

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks Starburst...looks like I better upgrade the aerial and point it the right way. My C5 signal is dire but next doors is perfect and the man at ETS said if you can get a good C5 in our area you are on the right transmitter for Freeview. NS

5. derbyjj

derbyjj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    You can't run two magic eyes off one feed. (I know I tried) You need a dist amp with IR pass thru. avail from SLX(maplin and b&q) ot TVlink .

6. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,176
    1) Freeview signal through sky+ to new TV
    There's no problem with this as long as you don't overboosted the signal that's going into the sky box. If you do, the sky boxes RF output (useually set to frequency 68 I think) will be contaminated with all the usual terestrial signals.
    2) Two magic eyes.
    No problem with a compatible booster (like the tvlink).
    3) I think you'll need the booster for for two magic eyes. When I tried boosting the signal after it had gone through the sky box, it didn't much up the freeview signal, it boosted them all (problem I had, as described above, was when I boosted the freeview signal and not sky's RF out).