SKY second hand box replacement

Armaghgeddon

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone

I currently have no subscription to sky but still use their free services. However recently my sky box blew up and I need a replacement one. Is it possible for me to buy a second hand sky box (with card etc) and use it in my home?

Also, would it be possible to use a SKY+ box?

Kind regards,

Armaghgeddon.

Is it possible for me to buy a second hand sky box (with card etc) and use it in my home?

Also, would it be possible to use a SKY+ box?

Yes you can buy a second hand box and use it. Plenty around for not very much but try and buy one that works or that you can return if it doesn't. As for the card that may be more difficult. Don't you have a card already? If not, you can buy one for, I think, £25

You can't use a sky+ box to record unless you pay sky. £10 per month I think. AFAIK you can use a sky+ box for the free channels if you don't use the record facility

Hi.
A quick look at the AVF selling forum, or EBay,or anywhere else on the net, will find you a plentiful supply of Sky machines of all types for sale at prices that start from zero.
You won't - or shouldn't - find any Sky subscription cards for sale as those are the property of BSkyB.
Sky will sell you for £25 a FreeSatFromSky card that localises the EPG and provides a few channels that are not totally free.
Recording on a Sky+ machine costs £10 a month if you go for one of those.
HTH - Logi

Would my exsisting sky card work in the box?

Would the card with it work in the box, just at a different location?

Any card that you may still have, that used to have a Sky subscription on it, might act as a FSFS card in another machine, but you'd only find out when you tried it.
Sky subscription cards are, and remain after expiry, the property of BSkyB, so no-one should try to sell them, and no-one should buy them.
As kevkbuk says FS would be the better option, complete with recording if you wish.
Here are all the current machines, and there are plenty to be had on those locations: FS Products.

Last edited:
Yes they do.

Went from Sky to Freesat myself recently and am using exactly the same cabling etc with the Freesat box.

Last edited:
Sorry to be a pain, does the fitting on the back of the sky aerial need to be changed?

That depends on what you already have. If your old box was a Sky+ and had 2 cables going into it then just unscrew them from this box, buy a Freesat+ box (so it can record) and screw the cables into it.

If you currently have only 1 cable from the Sky dish, you can still record using the Freesat+ box, with some restrictions, but you would be better having 2 cables run. This may need a new LNB as well as additional cable.

does the fitting on the back of the sky aerial need to be changed?
Sky has nothing to do with aerials.:confused:
A Freesat machine takes the same one or two screw-in plugs that a Sky machine does.

961: How could anyone stop anyone giving or receiving Sky's cards?
My comment, based on them being Sky's property, was on what people shouldn't do with them not what they do do.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice.

Ended up getting the freesat box, easier to go through all the channels instead of going through 100+ unsubscribed channels :thumbsup:

A hasty decision, but a good one.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom