Sky+ SDI

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Ridge, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Ridge

Ridge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371
    Considering the price of the Crystalio in the first place then it'd be a no brainer if buying one, it apparently makes an incredible difference, have a look on the scaler forum as a few have them over there - whether the total price is justified probably depends on how much you watch and how big your screen is :)

3. alixy007

alixy007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Using external video processor like crystalio,DVDO iSCAN , Lugamen will improve picture quality but since SKY HD will be around in 2 to 3 months there is no reason to get SKY+ SDI because SKY HD would have HDMI connection.

4. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If considering Sky HD an sdi modded Sky box may be not worthwhile, however a decent video procssor will improve all signals, especially sd as the majority will be this for the forseeable future.

5. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Ridge

You don't say what display device you have. The level of improvement in the PQ is partly dependent on that.

As to whether its worth doing it now given the looming Sky HD, I doubt there'll be much programming in HD before mid-2006 so you have maybe a year to go. The scaler will be beneficial even after the SDI Sky box is overtaken.

I feed my Sky SDI into a Cinemateq scaler and the improvement in PQ is dramatic. Movie channels are up there with DVDs and as one magazine review put it, SDI through a good scaler is nearly as good as HD.

It is a lot of money and only you can tell if it is worth your while to do it, but I can say you won't be disappointed by the PQ improvement.

6. MarkTy

MarkTy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm about to go down this route (Sky plus SDI, Lumagen etc), and also get HD when it come out.
    The reason why I don't think it'll be a waste of money, is that I will be able to use my HD box to watch the few HD channels and others in my subsciption, and I'll then keep my Sky plus SDI box on free to air, so that I'll get all those channels in better PQ than via the HD box

7. Canoehq

Canoehq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    What a great thread ! Particularly interesting for me in that I'm just about to go the Sky+ SDI mod route as well.....but hesitating a bit as wondering if I may have not thought this through properly.

Last thing I want to do is blow £350 on a SKY+ SDI mod for the whole thing to become redundant in less than six months time after HD arrives. I never considered that the SDI box and HD box could exist side by side. Indeed, I never considered it because all of the info I have read is that the HD box will do everything the current SD box will do and more, so why have the two ?

Having said that, I had understood from reading various other threads on here that somehow the quality of SD from an HD box may be significantly better than SD from the current standard SD box.... or is it simply that because the HD box will output over HDMI, this is the cause of the uplift whereas the standard box would only be SDI at best ? Is that right ? Is SDI in any way comparable to HDMI ?

Also, if hypothetically speaking, Sky should decide that its output via HDMI will indeed be HDCP protected, will this apply to SD programming output via that port also or just the HD programmes ?

8. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    I think MarkTy is pretty much on the mark.

Sky's most recent announcement on HD confirms that only a few channels will kick off the HD service. HD via HDMI will be HDCP - that is confirmed. To begin with the HD stuff will also be available over the analogue connection without HDCP, but it remains to be seen how long the content providers will go along with that. New providers may indeed specify that their stuff may only be carried digitally so as to prserve HDCP.

I'm not sure if SD material via HDMI will look better than SD via SCART or component. Logically an all digital pathway should improve things, but it doesn't always work like that. The key thing about SDI is that it grabs the incoming digital feed before the Sky box has a chance to muck around with it. So you get a very clean signal into your scaler.

SD material via analogue outputs will be the same on new boxes as on current boxes , unless the new box has much improved D/A electronics which I sort of doubt.

Re your last para Canoehq, HDCP = High-def Digital Content Protection, so it cannot be applied to analogue output. Hence the current interest in little black boxes which take a HDCP DVI input and output an analogue signal ;)

A SDI modded box sitting alongside a HD box would indeed be the Rolls Royce solution, but would it need two subscriptions/two cards and two additional feeds from the dish?

9. MarkTy

MarkTy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Phillipb

I'm intending to make mine free to air once I have my full subscription in the new HD box. I will then only run one cable to my old box (Sky plus SDI) for basic recording

10. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    There are lots of reasons.

Better scaling externally?
    Better deinterlacing ecternally and all the advantages of the an external video processor rather than using the quality Sky hardware
    Actually getting a picture for someone like me, I use CRT, is a small issue as well!!

SDI acomplishes all this, HDMI does not as implemented by SKY HD

11. Ridge

Ridge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I have a Pioneer PDP50XDE and the picture is amazing with other feeds but the feed from Sky isn't that good. And with hardly any content being HD when Sky brings out their Sky HD box (correct me if I am wrong) wouldn't it be more beneficial to have an SDI box and scaler and then wait for a fair amount of Sky content being HD and then move over to Sky's HD box.

Thanks for all the help.

Wait sorry just saw the news on DS about Sky's HD lineup: :clap: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds23757.html

But I still pose the same question. Because the movies are Sky Box office HD (or am I wrong didn't quite get that bit).

12. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Ridge

Sky 1, Artsworld, football, and 2 movie channels; plus box office for which there will be an additional charge on top of the HD premium - have to wait and see if that lot justifies the cost as an early adopter.

SDI Sky through a scaler and into your Pio will be a significant step up in PQ. I have the Pio 43MXE1. Joe Fernand can comment on the improvement to the 50XDE from a Lumagen or iScan but I think he'll tell you it is worth it.