Sky+ SDI to Lumagen DVI

Ultima

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right, a little problem that I have had for a while.

I have Sky+ SDI modded into Lumagen DVI to HDMI on my Panasonic PX60. The problem was that very occasionally the picture would judder. It happened when there was fast moving action, the ticker tape on Sky Sports is a good example of the judder when there was some football action on the screen. Funny thing is it didn't do it all the time only occasionally.

I have assumed that my Lumagen was switching between video and film mode thereby causing the judder. (I have tried in Auto1 and Auto2 modes). Now for the last week or so I had the Lumagen in Video mode and the judder has gone.:thumbsup: but, what am I losing by not having film mode available?? To be honest I can't see any difference in the PQ on any channel to what it was when I used Auto mode. This seems strange to me.

What do you guys think or have you any comments.

Thank you very much for any input.:thumbsup:

Regards
Martin

Yes, the judder is the Lumagen cadence detection getting a false-positive on 2:2 pulldown and going into FILM mode rather than being in VIDEO mode.

If you set your Lumagen DVI to force always on VIDEO mode then it will not deinterlace FILM properly (i.e. movies, American drama series, some UK high quality drama), but you won't get this cadence problems on VIDEO (i.e. sports, studio based programs, news). AUTO2 should work better IIRC.

You can turn FLAGS on to see Lumagen display V or F onscreen to see which mode it thinks it should be in.

StooMonster

Yes, the judder is the Lumagen cadence detection getting a false-positive on 2:2 pulldown and going into FILM mode rather than being in VIDEO mode.

If you set your Lumagen DVI to force always on VIDEO mode then it will not deinterlace FILM properly (i.e. movies, American drama series, some UK high quality drama), but you won't get this cadence problems on VIDEO (i.e. sports, studio based programs, news). AUTO2 should work better IIRC.

You can turn FLAGS on to see Lumagen display V or F onscreen to see which mode it thinks it should be in.

StooMonster

Thanks StooMonster:thumbsup:

How do I turn the flags on?? I'll have to :rtfm:

I suppose If it's a problem to me I'll have to manually switch between Auto2 and Video mode depending on what I'm watching.:thumbsdow Although, maybe this will be fixed in a firmware update??

As a matter of interest, what should Films look like with the Lumagen in Video mode. I have watched a few over the last week but don't really notice any problems, looks just the same as when on Auto2 mode tbh:confused:

Once again, thanks StooMonster.

Regards
Martin

How do I turn the flags on?? I'll have to :rtfm:

Menu 0918.:clap:

I watched halk an hour of sky sports last night in Auto2 mode with Flags turned on. Bloody hell, jumping between V and F quite alot and where the judder occurred the F was displayed.

Martin

There are no solutions that will be completely fool proof on AUTO modes. Some are more heavily biased to VIDEO than film and vice versa. I would just create two memories that are identical apart from DEINTERLACE mode then you can just send MEM command dependant on whether you are watching film or sports prgramming.

Gordon

There are no solutions that will be completely fool proof on AUTO modes. Some are more heavily biased to VIDEO than film and vice versa. I would just create two memories that are identical apart from DEINTERLACE mode then you can just send MEM command dependant on whether you are watching film or sports prgramming.

Gordon

I'll give it a go Gordon. :thumbsup:

Now back to the manual. How do I create memories??? :rotfl:

Thanks again
Martin

Being able to switch between the two memories with a single button push is a great feature.

StooMonster

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom