Sky SD Box For Freeview

R

rob_in_oz

Hey guys,

Im upgrading to Sky HD on my new Sony KDL-40W2000 next week.

Instead of throwing my old Sky SD box away i was thinking of using it on another TV as a freeview reciever.

Is this possible? I know you can subscribe though sky for a multiroom but i really dont want to pay £10 extra a month.

Could i buy a digital ariel to connect up to it? Or is there anyway of using the old ariel?

Cheers Rob

Starburst

Novice Member
SKY hardware is only for satellite use so useless for Freeview which uses the DTT network, you can use it for Freesatfromsky which provides the FTA channels and FTV channels (with £20 one off smartcard charge) which you will need since your existing smartcard will be used for the HD box.

It may be that the existing aerial provides full DTT reception so adding a cheap Freeview box may be a better long term option.

When they fit your HD the installer for a small consideration (and tea and biccies) would probably install an extra cable from your dish to another room to allow you to use the old box as a Freesat box. If you want channel 4, Five, Five US, Five Life and Sky 3 (plus some +1s from them) you will need a Freesat from Sky card for a £20 one off payment.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom