1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky + Scart Pass through and SVideo

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by rnjones, Sep 23, 2003.

Tags:
  1. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi just a couple of quick Sky + questions.

I was away on biz last night and 'er indoors wanted to watch her last video recording (that is pre sky+).

The VCR is connected to the Sky+ VCR scart and the Sky + is connected to the TV. I only have one RGB capable scart on my TV and the DVD is connected to it. So Sky + is in PAL mode.

This is exactly the same setup as with my Panasonic Sky which was also pre Sky +.

When a VCR tape is played only the sound comes through. Which indicates some sort of pass through isse.

Any ideas?

Also, If RGB is off on Sky + TV socket will sky + output composite or Svideo on the Scart?

Would it be better to get an Svideo cable and use that for the TV connection? I have got sound through the optical output.

Thanks

Rog

2. sanderton

sanderton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doesn't Sky+ loop through RGB? You couls attach your DVD player to Sky+ and have both in RGB.

3. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finaly got it working. Had a dodgy scart cable that I had to put a meter on to find out which pins were not connecting properly. Soldered it now and all is well.

Rog

4. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you connect your dvd player to Sky+ vcr Scart you can have both in RGB.Much better.Then the VCR can go in the other Scart socket of your tv.
    If you prefer-if your dvd player has 2 Scarts then Sky+ can go in the back of that.Whichever you choose,don't forget to change Sky+ to RGB

5. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I may be getting the wrong end of the stick but surely the sky+ will only pass through if its in standby.

In which case you wont be able to record anythingwhile watching a DVD.

6. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sky + records when it is ON or in standby. So thats not a problem. Thinking about reconfiguring as phelings suggested. But the differnece between RGB and PAL on the Sky+ box isnt that much. So dont know if I can be bothered.

Cheers Rog

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    What the hell are you watching it on a 14" protable the difference between PAL and RGB on any SKy box is huge! sometimes bigger than it is on DVD!!!

8. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yikes! I better go and have a look then.

Thats me told.

Rog

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    What really amazes me is the number of folks who watch sky via RF! 'I don't need a scart', they say, 'look I've got it tuned as Ch.6!' Gasps in horror at fuzz, colour bleed and mono sound...

10. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15

Well thats somit new I've learnt today :)

Maybe I should read the manual after all. :suicide:

11. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Weirdfish happy to be of service. Reconnected my DVD player through Sky+ all on RGB yesterday and watched some snooker on BBC2 and Mr Dragon may have a point in those high contrast balls on Baize shots RGB doesnt fizz around the balls (hope this doesnt get censored) as much as PAL. Even her indoors could see it.

However after lager I couldnt see the difference.

Anyway not only does Sky+ record in standby it also records whilst the DVD is playing through the scart sockets.

Now I have got a spare scart socket. Need a new gadget.

Rog

p.s people watch Sky through RF? I not sure I believe that.

12. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Cheers, I've just adjusted my cables too in light of that info.

So one one hand you've saved me shed loads of cash as I no longer need to buy a new TV with extra RGB scarts.

On the other hand you've taken away the reason I gave my wife that I needed to buy a 36" TV, I'd told her that its only 36"ers that have more than 1 RGB scart!

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Oh yes i have had fun setting customers sky boxes to RGB with their new TV and 16:9 even though the old one was widescreen!!!

Even had one guy who had an Avant £5k+ TV who insited on watching sky via RF even though His TV conrols the box thorugh its remote!!! He just couldn't get it!!!

And i have tunred up in customers living room to see Sky+ connect via RF to a Matsui 14"

(we had turned with a DLP and 8FT screen to install but it looked so funny on his lounge floor!!!)

TO really see it watch a bright programme in RGB game shows are good for this and put the menu up (the small text) box then switch back to the same prog on PAL):rotfl: (PS it will hurt your Eyes!!!)

14. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Out og interest is there much difference between s-video and RGB on Sky+? (I'm due installation in a week).

15. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    If you have a giant display, projector or plasma, you can clearly see the difference. On a 14" portable, not really. If like most you are in the middle, maybe! That was real helpful, wasn't it! S-video is not all bad, good for a 2nd set or something, or if convenience is heavily on it's side. Both are well ahead of PAL, and like hornydragon, I have seen an amazing number of RF connections, as I deal mostly with plasma and projection, that is really worrying! J.Lewis customers get home, plug in, do a channel search and there it is, in all it's glory on their £6K telly!

16. tosh

tosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK really daft question..

Can you record from DVD’s to SKY+ (I’ve had macrovision disabled on the DVD, I can copy to Video)

Not so daft question, my DVD has a component connection to the TV, can I therefore pass my PS2 through the Sky+ box in RGB???