1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sky+, scart or s-video

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by spook, Jun 12, 2004.

1. spook

spook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all, been waiting for a while now for the damn pedestal stand to restock for the 42" viera ;o( now thinking of changing my order to a panny TH-42PWD6.

just wondering which would give me the better quality pic from a sky+ box, scart or s-video?
    need to know if its worth getting a s-vid module for the panny or just stick with the free scart.

cheers, spook

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    RGB scart should be the first choice but s-video isn't that far behind, in can easily come down to personal preference/eyesight:)
    Most of the SKY/Plasma users seem to favour a RGB to VGA convertor to generate the best images from a digibox to a plasma panel though.
    This device sold by a forum sponser and contributer is the favoured method, worth popping into the Plasma forum for more info:)

3. stevebez

stevebez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Howdy all newcomer to the forum ...

Currently I have a scart plug in back of SKY+ outputting a composite video feed and I have optical audio out to the sound processor.

My question is how do I get RGB / component output from the scart outlet to connect to the sound processor? My processor is connected via component to the Plasma display. The processor also does composite and S-Video conversion to component.

Help advice here would be great!

Rgds Steve

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi & welcome.

You'll need an RGB > component convertor to get component to your Denon receiver. You can also send s-video from your Sky+ box to the receiver & let it upconvert that to component.

No real advantage either way, just easier video switching to your plasma.

5. stevebez

stevebez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Think will go the S-Video route as will not require a £150 RGB - component converter ... I assume the picture will be as good either way but better than composite feed?

Thx for advice !

Rgds Steve.

6. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The RGB/component option should be slightly better but whether it will be £150 better etc.....

S-video from Sky+ isn't at all bad & definitely the easier option.

:smoke:

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Have a laugh, in the plasma forum there's a guy who has nearly ripped my head off for suggesting using s-vid to connect his 24" in his bedroom. He insists it's total c**p, and I'm an ignorant shopkeeper who should just shut up. But seriously, s-video is just a cut down version of component, the differences are there, but it's fairly subtle, and you just need to ask yourself if it's worth £150. Mind you, as the RGB+s iscan hd scaler takes off, there are quite a few 2nd hand RGB-YUV converters on the classifieds.(previous owners have upgraded from ultra to HD) You could buy one to try, and sell it again if it wasn't worth the money to you.

8. stevebez

stevebez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Great thanks ! May well do that ... trying the s-vid first. JS technology have a great write up on this - you may want to pass the write up to your custy!!!.

Rgds Steve.