Sky satellite orientation

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by JohnGaw, Jan 9, 2003.

1. JohnGaw

JohnGaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I need to check on the orientation of my satellite dish (I've just moved to a new house in south london, it seems to be out of whack & I cant get reception) is there a site with the correct orientation listed for each region or is it standard for all areas or the country? If all fails I will have to get an installer in to check it but If I can adjust it myself I would prefer it.

2. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +713
    The orientation will vary slightly depending on where you are (lat & longitude).
    Go to http://www.lyngsat.com/tracker/astra2a.shtml
    and try to enter (click on) your location as accurately as possible ; you will then see an azimuth & elevation.
    You can improve accuracy by adjusting where you click on the UK map until you get the correct lat/long listed.
    You can find your lat/long via your lcoal OS map.

Incidentally you can do the same for any satellite (not just Astra).

Chris Muriel.

3. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't forget the "magnetic variation" which is, I think, about 5 degrees. So your 28.2 may be nearer 33 on your compass at your location.

In any case, you don't need to be especially accurate because you use your satfinder meter for the final adjustment. (There's no way tou can do this with a compass and a sextant).

Then, once you've peaked the signal on the meter, connect the Digibox and adjust the LNB "skew" for the best "quality" reading in the signal menu screen.

Fman