Sky satellite dishes being used for FreeSat

bluewotsit

Standard Member
Reaction score
Have just upgrade from Sky + to Sky Q

A new dish was fitted for the upgrade, and the old dish left in situ with all cabling to the house. A replacement LNB was fitted by Sky about 5 years ago

Can this be dish used to also receive FreeSat ?

If yes what else do I need to do and what equipment

Yes. A FS machine.

Will the dish need realignment at all - which boxes are good value for money

Given that you now have an 'wideband' LNB fitted on your satellite dish, you will need a Arris Freesat box...

Using the old dish and lnb? Would it be a wideband lnb?

Using the old dish and lnb? Would it be a wideband lnb?
The Sky type dishes aren't the issue, it's the LNB's that Sky have changed. Previous to Sky Q's launch all LNB's were 'universal' types ;)

Given that you now have an 'wideband' LNB fitted on your satellite dish, you will need a Arris Freesat box...

From the original post from the way I read it, the OP has two dishes; one older one that its LNB replaced 5 years ago by Sky when he had Sky HD. That should have a universal LNB and should work with most Freesat boxes and even TVs (assuming the cable goes to the place you want it).

He has then had a new dish fitted for Sky Q, the old one hasn't been changed and the cables are still in play.

“the old dish left in situ with all cabling to the house.”

So any Freesat (or other) satellite receiver or a Freesat TV are required.

From the original post from the way I read it, the OP has two dishes; one older one that its LNB replaced 5 years ago by Sky when he had Sky HD. That should have a universal LNB and should work with most Freesat boxes and even TVs (assuming the cable goes to the place you want it).

He has then had a new dish fitted for Sky Q, the old one hasn't been changed and the cables are still in play.

Yes this is correct - the LNB was replaced a few years ago when we upgraded to Sky+ at the time

Yes this is correct - the LNB was replaced a few years ago when we upgraded to Sky+ at the time
Yes then as both @logiciel and myself stated a Freesat box or Freesat TV will work fine. Assuming the dish\LNB\cabling have no issues.

I have the same setup as you with my TVs picking up Freesat from the old dish (as they have Freesat tuners built-in) and Sky Q on a separate dish.

Exactly the same equipment here.

Yes then as both @logiciel and myself stated a Freesat box or Freesat TV will work fine. Assuming the dish\LNB\cabling have no issues.

I have the same setup as you with my TVs picking up Freesat from the old dish (as they have Freesat tuners built-in) and Sky Q on a separate dish.

Thats good news

One question left like me you say your TV can use FreeSat as its got a tuner built in - how does the cabling connect ? (I've never taken the TV off the wall so am uncertain as to what connections are there). Am I right in thinking that there will be similar connectors to those on the back of the old sky box in situ ?

Many thanks

If your TV supports satellite\freesat then it will have an f type connector like a satellite box does at the box and the cable will insert and then screw in.

If you have the model number of your TV you can google it to see if it has one builtin without needing to take it off the wall. Usually sat tuners are present in the higher models of a given manufacturers range.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom