1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ s/w 'upgrade' : Another bug?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by gavan, Sep 21, 2005.

1. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    Hi,

after the recent screwed-up software upgrade which has caused me, like many others, lots of grief with the live pause etc. comes another seeming major bug.....

After a couple of recordings failed for 'Technical reasons' I decided to check the signal quality/strength through the setup screen. Input 2 quality was yo-yo-ing from almost full to zero, continuously. Doing a complete poweroff and powering the box back on has cleared it (like the live pause) for the moment but I suspect it will come back along with the live bug.

Has anyone else seen this, or have I developed a hardware fault somewhere at the exact same time as this incredibly buggy software release was installed?

Gav

2. spook

spook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    yes I have had a couple of recordings failed for 'Technical reasons' since the upgrade, (never happened before)
    also I have noticed that the response when changing between pages and selecting items is dog slow, sometimes I have to wait for 3 or 4 seconds for the unit to catch up, very annoying

Spook

3. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    When I complained via the feedback on the webpage about the PIN 'feature' I got an email back from customer support. I've since replied to that email and stated my issues with the other problems introduced by this disaster of an upgrade.

I suggest that everyone experiencing problems should give as much feedback as possible (web and phone) and maybe Sky will pull their fingers out.

However, I'm not holding my breath. I remember a similarly disastrous 'upgrade' a few years back which made my regular Pace Digibox a PITA to use (the EPG getting lost) requiring reboots almost every other day.

Right now I can't be sure that recording will work, timeslip features often fail and I'm being asked for PIN number (which I can't find) on a seemingly random basis when watching stuff I recorded. Totally unacceptable.

I guess Sky will listen when their market research shows them losing market share to DTT HDD recorders.

Gav

4. kevhans

kevhans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi gents,
    sorry to butt in but what boxes and what version are the boxes in question,i've got a pace v3 and have just received the update,no such problems for me :clap: ,i have just set the planner to record "crash" tonight so i hope these faults don't occur,so long as the technical issues don't raise there ugly head i will consider myself lucky and just relish in the fact that i can now time - out the bloody annoying "red dot" icon. :thumbsup:

kev

5. wormvortex

wormvortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +334
    my recording eariler failed it says something to do with the signal

6. thekingbeyond

thekingbeyond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +274
    Had the update on my pace v3, initially had the live pause problem but unplugged the box and that sorted it. Not had any problems recording yet :rolleyes:

7. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I have a Pace V1 and V2 - no problems on either. Obviously not all boxes are affected.

8. videonasty

videonasty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I have had a Pace V2 for a month & since the update, I've had 1 "part rec" film & a "failed" film. When I turned the Sky+ box on, it was telling me that there is a technical error & there's no signal?? Like everyone else rebooted & now it seems fine :mad: If this is gonna happen every other week, because of an update, its gonna p**s many people off :mad: :thumbsdow

P.S What's Sky's complaint email?

9. kevhans

kevhans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    set my pace v3 to record "lost" last night worked fine :thumbsup:
    sorry for the confusion because "crash" is on tonight(thurs) not last night as i earlier stated,hopefully it will record tonight as well.
    off topic i know, but does anyone know of any extra channels that can be added manually with out moving the dish? frequency,polarisation,symbol rate and FEC would be handy please
    cheers

kev

10. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Go to www.lyngsat.com - they have lists of all the different satellites. Just look for the satellites at 28.2 degrees E.

P.S. Set the frequency of the box to a known transponder frequency and polarization, and get the box to search. You'll often find channels on test.

11. videonasty

videonasty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    That website has confused me no end :suicide: Can anyone simplify it for me, I have a communal dish with Sky+? :smashin:

12. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    OK, go to this page on the Lyngsat site. You can manually tune any of the channels listed there, by putting in the frequency, polarization (V or H), and the FEC in the "manual channels" section of the Sky setup. Note that you will not be able to tune all the channels listed, because the Sky box only caters for a limited range of FEC settings.

P.S. You can't enter individual channels, because channels are transmitted in groups with a single bitstream, so you have to type in the frequency, polarization (V or H), and the FEC and get the box to search. You can then store the channels you find if you want to. Handy for getting BBC/ITV regions other than your local ones.

13. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286

You can use the Sky+ webpage to submit a complaint. They do read them it seems, as I got a response.

When your system starts playing up again, could you try a 'Services>4>6' to see the signal strength on input 2? Seems to be linked with the live pause problem on mine.

Cheers,

Gavan