Sky + - S Video

B

Bling Bling

Quick question, I want to put my DVD player through the one RGB Scart socket my TV has, how do I set up my Sky + box to output via the S-video socket as I would like to see if this is a better option than standard composite Scart ? My Toshiba TV has two other non RGB scarts and a S-Video input.

Cheers in advance.

Just plug the cable in, there is nothing to set up.

That's what I thought, but I get no picture at all with only the S-Video cable connected up. I have to have the Scart connected up to a non-RGB enabled socket. On the Picture set up menu there are only two options - Pal and RGB - should I see an option for S-Video output somewhere ?

Those options are for the scart socket. S-video should just work, if it doesn't your box or tv may be faulty. Do you have another s-video device to test your tv?

Alternatively, you could use RGB passthrough to connect both the dvd player and Sky+ to the RGB scart. Could be a problem if you've got a single scart vcr connected to sky+ though.

dvd -> sky+ vcr scart, sky+ tv scart -> tv. Sky box will pass RGB from dvd when it's in standby. If your dvd player has two scarts, you could reverse the order. If you've got a vcr with two scarts, you can also add it to the chain.

S- Video on the TV works fine, 'cos that's what i've got the DVD player connected up with - will try the passthrough suggestion, cheers !

You should check if your scart lead is fully wired up. RGB does not work on mine and I am pretty certain that it is the scart lead that is at fault.

Are you using a S-Vid (+ L&R audio if you want sound through the TV) to SCART lead? Is the SCART socket you are connecting to on the TV S-Vid enabled? If the answer is yes to both, then either the S-Vid output on the Sky box is faulty, the lead is faulty, or the SCART socket on the TV is faulty. By a proccess of elimination, you should be able to find out which component is at fault.

The input on the back of the TV is a scart socket with a separate S-Video input next to it. The S-Video input works fine when I've connected my DVD player up to it, so it's not the input, or the S-Video lead for that matter. I reckon it's the box, so I've arranged for an engineer to come mid-January to have a look at it. In the meantime I'll use the daisy-chain method above to get both the DVD player and Sky + box into the RGB scart - I set this up first thing this morning and it works fine. Thanks for everyone's help.

Originally posted by bobones

dvd -> sky+ vcr scart, sky+ tv scart -> tv. Sky box will pass RGB from dvd when it's in standby. If your dvd player has two scarts, you could reverse the order.

The Sky+ box, dont evern have to be in stand by, as the swicthing will take over as the TV recives a new swicthing signal.

Originally posted by bobones

If you've got a vcr with two scarts, you can also add it to the chain.

Unless as i have just found out......i brought a JVC S-Vid VCR and it will not pass through RGB (Bloody thing).....:confused:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom