1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ s-video output

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by simoncha, Jan 18, 2005.

1. simoncha

simoncha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all
    I need to split the s-video/audio output from my SKY+ box - one feed to the tv & the other to an HTPC. I've seen a cheap splitter @ tvcables.co.uk but I'm ignorant as to whether the signal would be degraded if it's split and sent to 2 devices. Is the signal strength halved if split? Would a switch be a better solution? I only need to send the signal to one device at a time.
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Short answer. Yes.

If you're only using one device at a time there won't be much loss, but as soon as you start using two you are on dodgy ground. You'll need a pricey distributor, look at www.keene.co.uk.

3. simoncha

simoncha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers.
    So actually having both physically connected isn't a problem then, only if both devices are powered up?
    Had a quick look at the distributors & they are more than I want to spend. I just want to be able to backup recordings to the PC without swopping cables all the time. The s-video socket on my Pace box is a really tight fit, so tight that the Sky engineer managed to break 2 pins of the plug when swopping the box out. 4 weeks later & I'm still waiting for the money to replace the 10m cable.
    So would the same signal loss apply to splitting the audio output too then? There another audio out (optical?) besides phono on the Sky+ box, I think. Maybe I could use that to the amp & the stereo phono to the PC- does that sound feasible?