Sky`s HDMI Cable Versus Top Brand HDMI

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by RyanK, Mar 27, 2006.

?
  1. Yes It Will

24.7%
  2. No It Won`t Make Any Difference

47.4%
  3. Don`t Know

22.1%
  4. Will Just Use The Sky HDMI Cable

18.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. RyanK

RyanK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Right many people seem to be confused as to whether the quality of an HDMI cable will improve the picture of an HD signal.

I`m in the group that thinks that it should make no difference.

What do you think?

2. sanderton

sanderton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    It's a digital interconnect. Do you get a better pitcure from your digital camera if you connect it with a high quality USB cable? :)

Unless the cable is so poor (or the run length so long) that the signal is actually corrupted, it will make no difference at all.

3. Noggin1980

Noggin1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,175
    Nice analogy :thumbsup:

I feel the same way, as long as the cable is capable of doing its job then there is no reason to spend more than a fiver or so on a digital cable.

As long as skys cable is long enough then I'll be useing skys hdmi cable. I think I may need 2 meters and so its very possible I'd need to buy my own.

4. kamaran

kamaran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    You can vote for all 4 options :( :oops:

5. RichardBoult

RichardBoult

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    But why you'd want to I don't know!

6. shaithis

shaithis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Do we have anyone on the forum who knows exactly how HDMI signals work?

I am not entirly sure that 'just because its digital and it apparently works' then we are getting the best picture. Although my gut instinct tells me thats correct, do we know 100%?

7. Sarah Nya

Sarah Nya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd probably buy my own cables if I were getting it.

8. Fusewire

Fusewire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    No problem with the data tranfer as it's digital so should be OK, what would worry me is interferance corrupting the data, so I think I'll invest in a decent HDMI cable with some shielding on it just to be sure.

After all it's being plastered into the wall so I don't want to have to pull it back out again. :suicide:

9. sathelp

sathelp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Here is the link to the HDMI site if it helps. I will use what Sky give me, they will have tested it with the box, so I am sure that it will be just fine. They are hardly going to give you a cable that is under spec are they? and all the scart leads I have had with my Sky boxes (Pace) have always been the best fully wired type, so their HDMI should be of simular quality.

10. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    The SCART leads they give out with Sky boxes are dreadful poorly shielded pap.

In theory, HDMI shouldn't be affected so much, but streaming video isn't like a data transfer that can keep asking for retransmits. I suggest quality of cable especially over 5metres+ will matter.

11. golden phoenix

golden phoenix
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,936
    what version of hdmi will sky be outputting? i.e hdmi 1.3

12. T800

T800

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +154
    I bought a Molex HDMI cable for my Denon 1920 and Panny AE900. It gave some images harsh outlines.
    I then bought a HDMI cable from Bettercables and everything looked better and it got rid of the harsh outlines.

So in my experience you can get poor HDMI cables.
    That doesn't mean to say that the one Sky give out will be crap though.

13. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    i'm not sure where mine will go, it might go near the projector so i can use the Sky cable but will need a long optical cable, luckily i do now have a spare 5m one.......or i can put it near the other equipment but that means a long HDMI cable, my QED Qunex one (10m) sadly bit the dust when the connectors moulding got ripped, it kinda works but gives lots of jaggies even tho the picture itself is stable (so yes its not a case of it either works or it doesnt, HDMI can work badly the same as an analogue cable...lol)......dont really fancy forking out over £100 on another 10m HDMI cable.....so might choose the long optical route....

ho hum...

14. chris-j

chris-j
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Both my original Sky digital box and my Sky+ box came supplied with a good quality SCART lead.

Maybe different batches got different leads:confused: , but if their HDMI cables are as good I will be happy

15. xavster

xavster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Would I be better off buying a cheap 10m hdmi lead for my projector, or a 10m component cable?
    Component should be much cheaper.....

How can a different HDMI lead affect the picture??

16. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Over 10m you would see a difference - I'd expect HDMI to hold up better though, distance wise, provided the cables are reasonably well screened. No need to go nuts on the cost.. just get something reasonable.

17. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    Component. HDMI deteriorates quite quickly after 7m (so I'm told, haven't tried it yet). It's got nothing to do with shielding really and more to do with the dropoff in digital signal quality on a balanced cable (10% tolerance on the impedance) over a certain length. You can run good component cable for 100m or more. Read this last bit on a very interesting cable site once (yes, I know how sad that sentence is)

18. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    I'd expect the opposite TBH. Digital signal tends to work until it breaks... the quality drops until you're trying to distinguish between 4v and 6v for 0 and 1 sometimes... but compared to what that kind of dropoff would do to an analogue signal it's nothing (assuming a snowy picture isn't acceptable to you).

If they're using twisted pair (don't know if HDMI does) then you can go for huge lengths (since you can compensate for the signal loss at the other end - google for twisted pair for info on this). Ethernet cable goes for huge distances for example... RS232 I've run around entire buildings in the past without having signal issues and that's even just single pair (although it's +-25v which helps).

I've seen what a VGA cable did over 5 metres once and wouldn't want to watch a picture like that.. and that was SD - lower frequency.

There is the other question of course.. 10 meters is a long way to take any kind of signal - can that be reduced? 15 metre (50 foot) HDMI cables are reasonable easily available, but personally I'd look at the layout first (if you wanted to go longer than that it'd be probably best to use optical relays... the cost would be kinda high I'd guess but it does remove any practical limit to the cable length).

(ref: http://www.cs1.net/cables/dvi_hdmi_and_hdcp_explained.htm - I note they suggest running long lengths over CAT5... that's the whole twisted pair thing I guess, but i'm not sure how you'd do the conversion).

*edit: Such boxes already exist... http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/EXT-HDTV-CAT5.html goes up to 150 feet (45 metres).
    http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/EXT-HDMI-1000HD.html goes up to 1640 feet (500 metres!!!)

Anyone wanting to send an HDMI signal 500 metres needs their head examining IMO :p

19. Ploppy

Ploppy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Anyone know what Sky says about this?

20. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Digital signals start to get 'sparklies' when they go wrong, and then eventually no signal. This can happen when cables get too long.

This can also happen when HDMI/DVI cable isn't shielded very well.

I have a basket with perhaps a dozen brands of dual-link DVI cables, that I've tried with my dual-link DVI graphics card and dual-link screen: dual-link is double bandwidth of 1080p but can be very sensitive to RFI/EMI. Some cables work fine, others have more 'sparklies' than Guy Fawkes Night (even on only a couple of metres).

However, with low bandwidth signal like 1080i over HDMI I wouldn't expect to have any problems with even the cheapest cable, unless perhaps the cable is unshielded and you have a lot of local RFI (taxi radios and suchlike).

StooMonster

21. senie

senie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive noticed a fair difference between a std HDMI lead and IXOS HDMI when connecting our Denon and Pioneer DVD's to the Pana Plasma and LCD's. Only ever over a short length (1-2m max).

As above really. Sparkly is a great explanation tbh.

Will try Sky's cable in April when we get it, but am not going to be confident that it will be the best around by any means.

22. Greggles

Greggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    I have seen significant differences in PQ caused by the use of different HDMI cables (connecting standard def DVD player to 50" plasma) and I can only immagine that the difference will be greater with an HD source. Some of the cheaper ones produced simply horrible results. Obviously the law of diminishing returns applies here. I tried a top-of-the-range Wireworld HDMI cable (£300+ for 2m) and could see very little difference to my usual QED one.

23. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    :eek:

£300 for 2m!

:eek:

24. shaithis

shaithis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    So there is no error checking with signals sent via HDMI then I guess? The sparkies are incorrectly recieved packets of data I presume....

Annoying as error checking (CRCs) are one of the huge benefits of digital :(

25. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    correct, most forms of digital streaming tend not use error checking as it's too late by the time you get a resend and "what does one pixel matter?" ;)

26. DanDT

DanDT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    For one last time, digital signals are all the same. A different cable will not give you different results unless it's faulty.

The market for expensive digital cables exists because of the ignorance of many people who think that more expensive means better for everything. It's almost always true, but in this case it really isn't.

27. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    Digital signals are not all the same.

Sorry, let me expand on that. digital signals are just electrical signals the same as everything else, but they tend to suffer much less from interference than analog as the delta between a 1 and 0 is pretty stark but you can get reflections or interference that will still fool that on a cable that's not shielded well enough or too long. A coax cable is far less likely to suffer from this (than HDMI) as the impedance is more tightly controlled to within a few % and it is inherently sheilded too I guess. So you can "lose" data on HDMI and that loss will depend on factors including the cosntruction of the cable.

28. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Digital feeds suffer less than analogue ones..but hey, you still need top materials, top notch interference cancelling design and top notch manufacturing.

Are you telling me a crappy SKY HDMI cable wil outperform a BetterCables Black Magic one, a Mnster HDMI cable or a Russ Andrews HDMI cable??? The difference is clear to see when you demo cheap and nasty ones that come with the box with well designed and manufactured ones, side by side.

Liam at Progressive writes:

"We offer a full selection of xxxx Leads, shown below are the Digital Video leads which we are not alone in thinking will outperform any other lead on the market no matter the price.... There are no cheap, middle-priced, and high-end variants either. Just one, the xxx which is also notably not the most expensive DVI/HDMI cabling one can buy. But with far larger copper conductors than the competition, resulting in lower loss and a better digital connection, this cable is the best. "

Go figure.

29. THERAAAVEN

THERAAAVEN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    i agree - mass produced cheap leads really aren't as good as a quality lead. even digitally there has to be better components used in the better leads? or surely they wouldn't make them. people that say they are deserve watch rubbish! but leave people alone who invest in quality to get the best out of their systems

30. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol...too right. I suspect its the old "I cant be bothered to spend 50 squid for a cable on my 5k panel " scenario. Used to be like that with HI-Fi stereo cables and HI_Fi orthodoxy until a certain "heretical" expert put everyone right, by delivering the better product and proving everyone wrong as a result of research and development into all things cable??

Oops...I'm off before the amateur techies here get hold of me!:devil:

Dil