Question Sky router question

willie45

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am using a Sky router and have had a hard time getting a consistent signal across the house. If I stand up close to the router the signal is good but otherwise not.

I have decided to replace this with my own router. I note from other posts that not all routers will work alone or with sky and I want an " all in one" box solution that I can use on it's own. I am wondering about either the TP Link Archer VR2800 or TP-Link Archer C5400 v2. Both of these seem to have been reviewed as good.

The thing is one "best router" review says: " The TP-Link Archer VR2800 is a great value router. It ticks all the important boxes, including 802.11ac Wave 2 Wi-Fi, it works with ADSL2+, VDSL2 and cable connections – and it even supports Sky Fibre and ADSL connections, which is unusual (although getting your username password details can be a bit of a challenge).

This seems encouraging apart from the challenge bit. Is this likely to be difficult and why?

The review of the TP-Link Archer C5400 v2 doesn't mention Sky so I'm not sure if it would work. If it doe, is it worth the extra cash?

Is there a better option?

Thank you for your help.

Are you on an ADSL or VDSL (aka FTTC) connection. If you're on something like an FTTP package then the requirements will be different. The former are more common, but Sky does the latter as well.

The C5400 seems to have no built in modem so it won't work with an ADSL or FTTC connection without using an external modem.

The VR2800 review is likely referring to getting the required info out of sky rather than anything to do with the router.

The TP Link Archer C5400 is a great router but its a standalone router (no modem built in) so I would forget about using that on Sky as it doesn't support DHCP 60/61 (required for Sky MER connections)

The TP Link VR800 is one of the best combined modem/routers around and will indeed work on Sky adsl or vdsl lines - it has DHCP 60/61 built in. Just select 'Sky MER' as your ISP in the router settings and enter

In the username field, enter abcdefgh@skydsl
In the password field, enter 1234567890abcdef

But make sure you use a PC browser to configure the router, don't use a smartphone or tablet.

Couldn't be easier!

Thank you. I have no idea if I'm on ADSL or VDSL or FTTP I'm afraid. How do I find this out please?

Anyway, it looks like the VR2800 is the only option of these two for me.

Does everyone have the same username and password as shown in the series of letters or letters and numbers?

IIRC, mine is username: "admin" and password "sky", or is that something different? It's what I need to put in to change any router settings.

Thank you for your help and excuse my ignorance

if you have a phone service from Sky over a copper line then it will definitely be an adsl or vdsl service - Sky don't offer voice over copper on FTTP.

That username/password combo i supplied is a generic one and will work with any sky customer's line. Once you get the TP Link VR2800 router, just follow the setup wizard, its a doddle to set it up. it will automatically detect & setup your adsl or vdsl connection.

Hi. I cannot connect to Sky internet with either the generic sky user or my own username (found via Wireshark). I have spoken with TP-Link support and they said it will not work with Sky and to return the router to the store!!
Everything set up correctly, just get the solid orange light. Many forums say it will connect, but cannot get past this point

I found the solution on another forum. The VR2800 needs the latest firmware. Updated this and it connected in about 30 seconds. Happy days!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom