Sky+ Rip Off

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by aisha, Oct 22, 2005.

1. aisha

aisha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My mums flat has a comunal system -1 dish for 3 flats. That means that if everyone has normal sky then one of us can still have Sky+ cos it needs 2 feeds. Well the annoying thing is normal Sky+ costs £99, but as this is a system which another company installed they are asking for £175 + price of co-ax to run one more cable from the dish to mums flat plus the £99 for the box. Sounds like a rip off becuase then we also need to pay BT £75 for a phone install as they say we HAVE to have a landline to plug the Sky into. That means we end up paying £350+ and then get no special offers on the sky viewing packages or "recommend a friend" deals

I'm thinking - how hard can it be to run a length of cable from the dish to my mums flat? Don't know where I can get co-ax in bulk either but it really can't cost me that much!
    Any ideas?

BTW I live in Slough :)

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Communal systems are as a rule owned and operated independently of SKY and the owners of any flats/apartments. Since the communal system is then private property and it's service is leased out to the tenants the costs involved in installation/supply and ongoing service charges will always dwarf a basic SKY sourced service.

There are a few threads on communal systems already but basically you have no right to tamper with it since it doesn't belong to you, any tampering will leave you open to at least civil action perhaps criminal if you damage anything.

The £175 fee sounds ball park for a communal system (yes expensive but they hold all the cards), the cost of the SKY+ would indicate that they are acting as SKY agents which is why the phone requirment is stated. There is an option to pay £25 if you do not have a landline but I have read that doesn't apply to SKY+. You could pay the communal charge and then source the SKY+ online (£160ish) and then you may not have to have a phone line, the contract can be read that way (well it could, not seen a recent one).

3. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    I don't know about the fairness of the extra costs of another connection in the communal install (though in fairness, it does cost quite a bit to put the infrastructure in) but you don't actually *need* a telephone connection for Sky+. You only 'need' it to be eligible for the Sky subsidy (ie. get a box for 50 or 99 quid).

Gav

4. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    not true, if you dont have the phone line they will charge you double monthly sub each month its disconnected from the phone line....oh and if it goes on too long force you to pay the difference on the box as well..

basically the reason you get the ability to use Sky+ features at only £10 or free with premium mix is because the companies that you can access thru the services on sky+ pay sky money to force customers to have access........if customers didnt have a phone line, they couldnt use these services at all, which means the companies that have set themselves up to be linkable through sky would lose revenue.....even tho you swear you wont use them, more than likely you will even if its just the once out of curiosity, and in some cases people end up using them quite often.....
    so if you dont use them, sky penalise you heavily as they will then lose revenue themselves if these companies find sky is not providing the customer base it promises etc......
    you dont need the phone line to use the basic + box features tho like livepause/rewind......or even box office if i remember right........its only features on the services or when they want to charge something that isnt anything to do with sky, another company cannot add charges to your sky direct debit....so they normally do it in the form of a phone call, like text messages are used by companies to pay for games for your phone or ringtones.

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Who told you that?

SKY+ is not subsidised under the Interactive Discount Contract (IDC) scheme which only applies to people who sign up for to a "Free Sky box and minidish offer".
    However there is a phone requirement if you buy SKY+ and have it installed by SKY or it's agents which if ignored would allow SKY to charge you the balance of the install cost.

Your explanation of how the IDC works is correct upto a point but it is not relevant to SKY+.

6. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    Nope, that's complete tosh. If you do the install through Sky they will insist on a phone line connection (because they want to make money from you using interactive services). This means that if you want to benefit from any of Sky's special offers on the box, you'll need the line.

If you buy the box yourself and have it installed by an independent dealer (or DIY) , you don't need the phone connected.

You may be confusing things with 'Sky Multiroom' where both boxes MUST be connected to the phone line in order to verify that they are at the same address. In this case, non-connection will lead to you having to pay extra or the second box will be de-authorised.

Gav