• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sky+ & rf2 out, please help.

G

goldcol

Hi, thanks for taking the time to read the thread.

I have a Sky + Box connected in my lounge. I also have aerial in and an aerial out in the lounge. I have connected the RF2 out of the sky box to the arial out on my lounge wall. The areial out enables me to get sky at all other aerial points.

I have used a magic eye on an older TV i got in our bedroom(non digital) and sky is working.

i bought a new samsung UE22C4000 22” HD TV for the conservatory I have run the aerial to the lounge aerial point in. I receive all the preview channels as this is a preview TV but am unable to get the Sky channels. how do i get to view the sky channels???

thanks

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
I assume you mean the Freeview channels - these are digital channels. You will need to use the analogue tuner section of the TV if it has one - the Sky RF2 output is analogue. I have yet to see anything but the very cheapest TVs without an analogue tuner. Read the manual for the TV.

G

goldcol

There is nothing in the instruction manual mentioning switching from Digital to Anologue signal.

I did notice last night that i can switch cable to air. Using cable i always picked up channel 5.

Should i be on cable for analogue. I am confused here like.

logiciel

I have yet to see anything but the very cheapest TVs without an analogue tuner.
The only specification I can find for this exact model mentions only the digital tuner, but I suppose it may be taking the analogue for granted.

goldcol: The manual really ought to give you this basic information, and as you found a reference to "switch cable to air" there should be a reference to one for "switch digital to analogue" as well.

logiciel

Thanks - that confirms it's OK - so now find us a manual? ;)

G

goldcol

thanks guys. In the manual it says to switch from Air to cable which is basically Digital to Analogue. There is something a miss, when i am on air(digital) i get all the preview channels coming out of my. When i switch to cable(anologue) and search for channels i get two channels only. One is definately channel 5 because home and away was busting me, the other is channel 2 i assume. I have watched the Samsung search a tidious 10 mins and it does not find the sky channel. Really weird as the upstairs TV does.

Could the fact i am using a magic eye on the TV upstairs be causing a problem. I can't see how i know people who are using 3 magic eyes. The RF2 out is connected to my aerial out, i know this is working because when i plug the magic eye in upstairs the red light pops on the magic eye.

I checked with the owner, only bought the house 6 weeks ago. He said when the RF2 was connected to the aerial out, he could get sky in everyroom which had an aerial point. Now trusting the bloke ain't me I pressume from what I have seen (evidence) he is talking the truth, therfore it must be the TV which isn't a cheap one for the price. I have read and read the instructions until last night i had a dream about reading them. Please help as my little girl would love to watch Jake and the Neverland Pirates on Sky in the Conservatory.

Last edited by a moderator:

logiciel

Air to cable is NOT digital to analogue - not on Samsungs anyway.
You select Air from the two options and that gives you the further three options of Analogue, Digital, and both. You select both and the analogue channels and the digital channels are tuned in the same process. You should see analogue channels BBC1, BBC2, ITV1, C4, Five, and a list of Freeview (NOT preview) channels depending on your location. If the aerial feed includes the current Sky programme that will be added to the five analogue channels.

However, we need to go back to the start:
I also have aerial in and an aerial out in the lounge.
i bought a new samsung UE22C4000 22” HD TV for the conservatory I have run the aerial to the lounge aerial point in.
Is that accurate?

SN: "Us" would be the royal "We". "us" was meant to mean anyone who was reading the thread, and me.

Last edited:
G

goldcol

in the lounge there is an aerial out, which the previous owner said if i was to connect the SKY RF2 out to the aerial out, it would distribute the sky to all the aerial points in the house. so the RF2 out is connected to the aerial out. There is no aerial in the conservatory. i therefore have ran a aerial direct from the back of the TV to the aerial in, in the lounge.

hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:

Broadz

Distinguished Member
Have you tuned the analogue tuner of the TV in the conservatory to the frequency that the Sky box is outputting its analogue signal on? Until you do, you aren't going to be able to watch Sky's RF output on that TV. As you already have another TV somewhere in the house tuned to the correct frequency, you know what frequency to use. So just manually tune the conservatory TV to the same frequency.

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
I therefore have ran an aerial direct from the back of the TV to the aerial in, in the lounge.

You have run a cable from the conservatory TV to aerial In, in the lounge?

I thought you said RF2 was connected to aerial Out.

Try connecting this cable, from aerial In to RF1 on the Sky box and see what you get.

G

goldcol

There is an aerial out on the wall in the longe and an aerial in, two seperate sockets. RF2 out on the Sky box is connected to the aerial out on the lounge wall. Upstairs i have a tv connected to an aerial point which works fine. what i have done with the conservatory is no different. Because there is no aerial poinit in there, i just ran it direct to the aerial point in the lounge, its the same set up as upstairs surely.

G

goldcol

thanks broadz, i have tried tuning through the hole range, sky does not come up. One one upstairs found sky straight away.

Broadz

Distinguished Member
There is an aerial out on the wall in the longe and an aerial in, two seperate sockets. RF2 out on the Sky box is connected to the aerial out on the lounge wall. Upstairs i have a tv connected to an aerial point which works fine. what i have done with the conservatory is no different. Because there is no aerial poinit in there, i just ran it direct to the aerial point in the lounge, its the same set up as upstairs surely.

You are putting a lot of trust in "the previous householder" telling you that the TV out which is connected to the conservatory TV is running through the aerial distribution system you have in the loft which is fed by the socket you have the Sky RF2 running to. Especially as you reckon it can only pick up two terrestrial channels as well - Five and (maybe) BBC2. That sounds to me like the aerial socket in the lounge isn't connected to anything at all, if it is only giving you two terrestrial channels and no analogue Sky, when you are confident the analogue Sky out is running through the distribution box. But so be it.

You have, however, been told how to ensure that the Sky RF out gets connected to the conservatory TV - by running a cable directly from Sky RF out (1 or 2) into conservatory TV, that way you know that the connection is in place and you don't have to trust what the previous householder told you. So why not do that, get the conservatory TV tuned in so you know that it is capable of receiving Sky on it and you know which channel on which tuner you need to turn to when watching Sky on that TV? Then, when you are happy you know what you are doing there, you can return to connecting it via this convoluted aerial in/aerial out socket method and see whether it still works that way as well. If it does, job's a good un. If it doesn't, you know that the previous owner of your house lied to you.

Last edited:

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
i just ran it direct to the aerial point in the lounge, its the same set up as upstairs surely.

What aerial point? Aerial point In and Aerial point Out are not connected to each other.

Aerial point In is your terrestrial aerial which is why you receive all the Freeview channels in the conservatory.

Last edited:

Broadz

Distinguished Member
What aerial point? Aerial point In and Aerial point Out are not connected to each other.

I suspect "aerial point in" runs to a distribution system based elsewhere - probably in the loft - along with his TV aerial, and this then feeds various aerial out points dotted around the house. Which is why he has managed to use this routine to get both Sky and terrestrial TV on one of his bedroom TVs. However, I also suspect that it is not feeding the second "aerial out point" in the living room which he has connected his conservatory TV to.

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
goldcol: If you want the system to operate as it should and as it was designed to operate, connect Aerial In in the lounge the the Sky box RF In and your conservatory cable to RF 1.

You will now be able to get Freeview and Sky in every room.

Last edited:

logiciel

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom