1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SKY+ RF out gives bad picture

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by richardS, Nov 9, 2004.

1. richardS

richardS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a sky+ box.

Connected to that is an RF in from antenna on roof. There are two RF outs - one I use for signal for the FM tuner of an AV amp and the other I use to feed a booster to send the tv and sky signal around the house.

I have tested all the rf cables and I get excellent picture on all 5 terrestrial channels - BUT, when I take the signal out of the sky RF out - all channels are at best mediocre and channel 4 and 5 are pretty bad.

I live in London - about 2 miles as the crow flies from Ali Pali and you could get a perfect tv picture if you used your finger as a receiver....

I have tried changing (in the hidden menus) the RF channel number....I have done from 20-40 and from 60-69.....and the only one that is passable is 67 - although (Five) 5 is still pretty grim.

I auto tune the TV everytime - so it's a very slow and laborius process - no doubt I will carry on tonight with the numbers that I haven't done yet...

I wondered if anyone in SW London has any idea what number I should be heading for, or, if this completely the wrong thing to do, in which case what the process is to sort out the picture....Calling Sky results in no help at all....

2. MJ Invincible

MJ Invincible

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Richard!

I'm not sure whether this will work, but try this setup instead...

Roof aerial -> booster -> sky+.

By putting the booster before the sky+, this may resolve the picture quality problems you are having.

:)

3. richardS

richardS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll certainly give it a go, although the picture that I get from the RF cable just before it goes into the sky box is perfect...

4. MJ Invincible

MJ Invincible

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tell me if it works, and if it doesn't I'll try to suggest something else :) .

5. MJ Invincible

MJ Invincible

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems that your current setup (sky+ -> booster) messes up the pictures. By trying my setup, this may resolve the picture problems.

You will also have to ensure your sky+ rf output is away from the analogue/digital terrestrial channels being transmitted in your area.

6. stevestarr13

stevestarr13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    are you using the RF2 output connection, I am and 69 is the best picture all others are too soft

7. richardS

richardS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MJ - the booster does not come into play until after the sky box. the signal from the sky box (before the booster) is the problem, ie the signal that is coming out of sky RF is bad, but the (unboosted) RF signal into the sky box is fine.

8. richardS

richardS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Steve, thanks for that. I did try 69 - every channel was fine except Five.....

I will carry on having a go and see if I suddenly come across the best channel...

PS - I change the RF channel number on the sky box leaving it in that menu, without saving settings - then retune my Sony Wega TV on Auto. ITV is usually first channel, then BBC1...etc....if one of the channels looks bad I tend to stop the channel search and go back to the sky+ menu and change the RF channel up/down one, etc etc etc ad nauseam.... Am I missing out on the same channel (C4 and Five) appearing further up the band on the TV?

9. MJ Invincible

MJ Invincible

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try connecting the outdoor aerial straight to the TV and then do a full autotune.

Make a note of what UHF output the clear channels are located on (channels 1-5) for future reference. This way you will know that you have the TV tuned in correctly.

Then you can manually tune in the sky+ output channel when you reconnect the rf leads.

10. richardS

richardS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MJ,

good idea, will do that....It's a slow process this tuning lark....but I'll get there in the end!!! :D

your help/input is much appreciated!

11. MJ Invincible

MJ Invincible

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just read again my above post, as I just edited it before you posted. This way all you have to do is manually tune in the sky+ output channel, and you will know for sure that the TV is tuned into the right channels (1-5).

12. richardS

richardS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sadly, no success...I will have to live with bad reception for "Five" and use Sky to view this....

Weird.

13. TBH1

TBH1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had this kind of problem - - -changed my TV once, was a Hitachie jobby picking up SKY via 2ns rf channel on 68 - -new telly didn't want to know - - got it working by changing to channel 25.
    Spooky enough my dad had this problem when he changed his TV - -same action resolved it.
    Good luck - -