SKy+ RF Out and Sharp LCD Panel

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by breadvan579, Jan 3, 2005.

1. breadvan579

breadvan579

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, as a new user to this Forum please be gentle.

To describe my AV environment: Sky+, Denon Receiver, B&W Speaker Systems and 37" Plasma in Home cinema room. RF Out into loft which is then distributed to 7 outlets round the house with control points at each TV (range of 15-20" CRT units).

This has worked well for 2 years with good quality signal and full control of the Sky+ box in the Home Cinema room.

Recently in one of the rooms I upgraded the TV to a Sharp Aquos 22" LCD. The picture is still fine, but I have variable control of the Sky+ box. By variable I mean some commands given on the Sky+ remote work (play or the Up arrow on the menu system) but others will not regardless of how close I am to the TV/Receiving infrared device.

I have tried a variety of diferent frequencies the RF Out on the Sky+ box is distributing but some have less success than others - some leave me with no control.

Other units in the house continue to operate without problem, so my issues would seem to be isolated to the 22" Sharp LCD unit.

Can somebody please offer some words of wisdom.

Many thanks

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Turn the LCD off at the power point and then try to control the SKY+ via the remote eye next to the LCD.
    If the LCD is the source of interference the you should have your answer:)
    I have read that Plasma give off enough energy at certain frequencies to mask the signal from a remote, perhaps LCD are similar in nature.

3. breadvan579

breadvan579

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Starburst
    I have done as instructed and the Sky+ unit operates as expected when the LCD is powered off at the power point and switched off when power on at the mains. So it would seem that the LCD is blocking the instruction from the remote on certain frequencies.
    Can you suggest how to resolve ? Could it be a simply case of moving the infra red receiver further away from the LCD.
    Thanks

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    I supect that would be the answer, the radiant energy from the LCD must have limits and pointing the remote straight at the "eye" which is next to the screen would I suspect be the worse position you could have.

It's probably just going to be a case of trial and error:)

5. breadvan579

breadvan579

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Trial and Error has worked a treat and I now have a location for the eye - that seems compatable with the LCD.

Thankyou.