Sky RF 2 Outlet Problem

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Damo121, Sep 9, 2004.

1. Damo121

Damo121

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Have got Sky coming out of the RF2 outlet in to a split signal box in the loft, but the picture is very poor and grainy. Anybody got any remedies?

Also I am running analogue cable at present and as I have to change the aerial to watch Sky, what's the best way to split the cable/sky without too much picture loss.

Cheers

Damo :)

2. RichardP

RichardP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It sounds as though you are doing something wrong here, but I'm not sure what!

Assuming that you are only using RF and not SCART or S-Video then the setup should be :

Aerial -> Sky RF In
    Sky RF Out 1 -> TV
    Sky RF Out 2 -> Splitter Box

When you say the "picture is very poor and grainy" do you mean the Sky picture or all channels? If its all channels then either you have a problem with the wiring or the Sky box is faulty, if its just the Sky channel then it's likely that the Sky output channel is conflicting with a broadcast channel or another piece of equipment which also has a RF output, like a VCR or DVD recorder. If it's the latter try changing the RF out channel in the hidden installer menu (Services, System Setup, 01 Select), remember that as soon as you do this you will lose the picture from the RF out and you will need to re-tune the TV.

3. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    ensure it's wired up correctly, as mentioned above
    check that the output from RF2 is good by connecting to a nearby tv with a short cable. If it's not, one cause of problems can be if you've amplified your terrestrial signal that goes into you sky box (RF in), this can be too strong, and affect the RF out signals. Assuiming your RF out works over short distances, if you are running a long cable from sky box to loft, you may need to amplify the signal as soon it's left the sky box (and then possibly again if you split it in the loft).

4. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Satellite cable such as CT100 (which is what you should be using) loses typically 0.18dB at 860MHz (top end of UHF band). So a 33 metre run will lose about 6dB, requiring a 6dB amplifier to compensate. Easy, huh?

A passive splitter loses typically 4dB so it's best to use an amplified splitter, to avoid such losses, or fit an amplifier before the splitter.

5. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And if you are using any kind of tvLINK type remote extender (or plan to) then you should use a compatible amplified splitter only.

6. Damo121

Damo121

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Cheers for the advice guys!

I connected a second tv direct from the RF2 outlet on the sky box this afternoon, and the picture is perfect. I guess I will have to look into getting a amplified splitter (any suggustions where to buy). Also I will be looking to get a tv link as well (hope this works).

In theory, could I not extend the exsisting coaxial aerial going into the splitter box in the loft and join/run another piece of coxial down into my bedroom, so it would be only Sky running on that.

Cheers

Damo :)

7. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Damo

Maplin sell some good SLX boxes for the distribution of the sky signal from your loft they are about £30 for a 4 way with digital pass through.

If you go online you can browse their site and checkout what you need.

Cheers

Tone

8. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0