Sky+ rewind facility other than instant

Faust

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Am I right in thinking that Sky+ has no rewind feature, other than instant rewind, which is only of use during simultaneous record and play? If so then I find it astonishing that such a hi tec piece of kit does not have a simple rewind. In our house such a feature is vital with my wife, who tends to talk through most programmes. I have an E30, which allows similar feature as Sky+ instant rewind i.e. simply press rewind button during simultaneous record and play. However, like the humble VCR it also still retains this feature on previously recorded material. Someone told me that on previous recordings you have to fast forward Sky+ to the end, start programme again at the beginning, then move forward to the desired point, surely this cannot be true?

If the IR function is active then it records the currently viewed channel to a buffer for upto 60minutes so you can the rewind it but when you change the channel the "buffer" resets.

As for watching previously recorded material of course you can rewind it, it wasn't a TIVO owner who told you it couldn't?

Just Kidding:laugh:

Thanks for the info, my wife wants us to get Sky+ but I am pretty resistant, given all the faults and the fact you are tied into premium channels to avoid sub. I prefer to stick with my E30. I could have used the argument of no rewind to avoid getting it, given wifes ability to talk through all the interesting bits.

I have SKY+ and I have a girlfriend who likes to talk.....when she launches into a conversation I pointedly press "PAUSE", look at her, cross my arms and sigh - she tends to keep the ramble to a minimum then, and I can soon resume viewing !

Originally posted by Faust
Thanks for the info, my wife wants us to get Sky+ but I am pretty resistant, given all the faults and the fact you are tied into premium channels to avoid sub. I prefer to stick with my E30. I could have used the argument of no rewind to avoid getting it, given wifes ability to talk through all the interesting bits.

If you are happy with the system you have then I would always stick to it barring an extreme increase in functions (VCR to SKY+ in my case) although "pressure" applied from the missus will always be a factor:)
SKY+ isn't going anywhere and regardless of the fact I am having no problems with mine others are and that has always got to be on your mind when considering a purchase.

I've had a good chuckle reading through this thread at the comments about partners rambling on during interesting programmes. Dare we try and speak during Corry etc. Maybe we should start a thread on the benefites of Timeslip on RAM and Live Pause on Sky+.

Kazuya Mishima,

My mrs is just the same except if I pause the playback you should see the look I get.........priceless:D then if I ask what's wrong - fine, nothing etc.

Originally posted by Kazuya Mishima
I have SKY+ and I have a girlfriend who likes to talk.....when she launches into a conversation I pointedly press "PAUSE", look at her, cross my arms and sigh - she tends to keep the ramble to a minimum then, and I can soon resume viewing !

Substitute wife for girlfriend and I could have written that... :D :rotfl:

Amusing thread

I got Sky + because the wife kept messing up the video, missed the start and ends of programs etc, could not find what she had taped etc, Missed the whole program etc, Forgot to press timer button etc

And always blamed the video not her recording skills or lack of

It's not so important if it's Corrie but when you miss an episode of your favourite program or the end of a film it can be ANNOYING

Anyhow she and I reckon Sky + is excellent and we have had no problems with Sky + in 3 months.

In fact Sky+ is a doddle and the solution to many unfortunate dealings with 2 household VCR's that i owned

They lie redundant now, along with the wife's critiscism

This is fun :D

Mine had just about got to grips with videoplus after 4 years but whenever she wanted something recorded she would still ask "do we have a tape to record this?" How would I know she was the last one to use it!! If I was working away from home I'd have to talk her through each step - very frustrating.

Anyway we now have Sky+ and she's put the blockers up "I've not got time to figure out the new thing". We've also just bought a DVD recorder - oh joy :laugh:

I keep saying to her "watch how easy this is" I would be as well saying "yrgfaurhguadhgahn;uhjosaijhio["

My 6 and 9 year old boys can handle it just fine.

Interesting stuff! My wife and I always argued over what to watch now with sky+ we argue over what to record! No solution there.

However the main deciding factor over our decision over any other harddrive or DVD recorder is the flexibillity to watch another sky chanel while recording another. You would 'lock up' the sky box with the others and be forced to the 5 terrestrials!

I know the original question has been answered but I can confirm FF RW and slowmotion are all functions while watching recordings.

A lot of this rings true in our house. My wife was so anti getting Sky + you wouldn't believe, she now actively sells it to all our friends at any opportunity.

I think we should all be thankful for Sky+ it is a potential marriage saver and marriage guidance should recommend it to all their clients.

My ability to listen has gone up 10 fold thanks to Live Pause and as a result I get a happy wife!

This thread is so funny!

I am the wifey and am beginning to think i may be in the minority here( or perhaps not) as it's me that decides what we are buying, sorts out anything to do with the sky, home cinema etc as my hubby isnt that interested , as long as he can watch the footie and get a good picture he's fine.

Dont get me wrong, i still like all things girly but this stuff fasinates me.

Im afraid i have just asked the other half if i talk too much and he just burst out laughing.

He has been very taken with the refurb sky+ we have just had installed on Saturday, he seems really interested for a change, showed him the live pause.

Enough said.

jems

:laugh:

Originally posted by Faust
Am I right in thinking that Sky+ has no rewind feature, other than instant rewind, which is only of use during simultaneous record and play? If so then I find it astonishing that such a hi tec piece of kit does not have a simple rewind. In our house such a feature is vital with my wife, who tends to talk through most programmes. I have an E30, which allows similar feature as Sky+ instant rewind i.e. simply press rewind button during simultaneous record and play. However, like the humble VCR it also still retains this feature on previously recorded material. Someone told me that on previous recordings you have to fast forward Sky+ to the end, start programme again at the beginning, then move forward to the desired point, surely this cannot be true?

Skyplus rewind is available on Live tv if you enable it, not just recordings, but if you switch channels the rewind buffer is flushed.
Or you can record the programme and do as you wish, when you want to.

On previous recordings you can start the playback at any point by directly entering the number of minutes.
The last recording you were watching can also be played at any time by pressing play anywhere in skyplus except the planner if this recording is not highlighted in the list.
There is also a system of bookmarks which adds to the flexibility.

jems,

The wifey of my dreams, forget Kylie etc. a woman that likes AV stuff :D Tell your hubby that he doesn't know how lucky he his.

Im afraid i have just asked the other half if i talk too much and he just burst out laughing.
So that'll be a yes then :laugh: That live pause button looks like it's in for some serious punishment.

bigRD,

Other half likes Kylie, " but does she know her av stuff i said"

" Well maybe not, but i could forgive her for that" he says, laughing.

I feel a" Kylie is banned in this house "mood coming on and no playing with my new sky + box either!!!!

jems

:laugh:

Me and the wife tend to make decisions together on most items.

As far as any electrical equipment is concerned i make all the decisions on what to purchase, as she values my opinion more.

Her expertise lies in far more practical things.

Anyhow i have decided to take over the Tv with the FOOTBALL about to start.

And thanks to Sky +

She will watch Corrie Later

what a star!!!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom