1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ response time

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Simon Coates, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Simon Coates

Simon Coates

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone else noticed that since the recent 'instant rewind' software upgrade the response time of the Sky+ box has got worse. It now takes about a second or two to change channel.

The longest delays seem to happen whilst it's 'actively' buffering/storing. Once it's responded to a channel change subsequent channel changes are quicker - I assume because the box hasn't started storing the stream yet - it takes about 5 seconds before it starts storing after a channel change.
    The delays don't seem to be any longer when the box is recording another channel though.

Best channel changing performance is by entering the 3 digit channel number - worse performance is by scanning the channels and pressing select.

The response time is starting to get on my nerves! :(

I take it that Sky+ is now at the limits of its processing speed - as a longer delay in changing channels would be unacceptable. I wonder if this is why they haven't released a 2 channel record software update? I've heard that this might never happen!

Thanks

Simon

2. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What do you expect?! The sky+ box was not designed for this feature. It has to clear the buffer and start again and it takes about a second. Its not about processing, its just the hard drive slowing things down. More ram would help.

2 channel record works now - everytime you live pause or buffer while recording the sky+ is dual recording. Sky are currently trying to figure out a user friendly way to implement the feature is all (trying to explain that while recording two channels you can only watch one of them).

If you don't like waiting 1 second (and thats only after the buffer has kicked in) to change channel, dont use instant rewind.

I hardly ever flick through channels (you have a search and scan banner so you dont have to flick!) and it is only ac1 second delay so I am not that bothered.

3. orangemirrors

orangemirrors

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Simon Coates

Well another happy customer, the only thing i can sugest is to get a rival system to sky (oh i forgot there isn't one).

What is the point of complaining about something as small as that when you have a system that is light years ahead of anything else.

Try and find another one box system that can handle more channels and when you find one have a look at the price and then see if it has a hard disk recorder aswell.When you have paid for that then see if it will also give you the ability to rewind tv at the same time as recording something else. I think you will have no options left so why criticise about something that you can hardly time.

I would agree that it is noticeably slower but it is not worth moaning about.

I am in no way connected with sky other than having paid for it since the beginning but i am just grateful to a company that has revolutionised tv in this country.

After all more than ten years after sky started how much better is the service that the BBC and ITV offer, not exactly leaping ahead are they even though they should have all the experience and should have seen SKY coming. Well i think they saw SKY coming watched it pass them and still didnt react as it dissapeared into the distance.

A complaint about the cost or the extra SKY+ sub or the licence fee i can understand but the system has no competitors

I will now get off my soap box and shut up and i apologise if you take any offence to this none was meant.

Thank you and good night