1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky "repair" rip-off?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Daneel, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
  2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    There's just one thing I don't understand in that article. If there is a software update to fix a problem, it is automatically downloaded by the Sky box, and there is no longer a problem. Why should customers continue to have problems if their boxes have automatically downloaded the fix ?

3. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Of course it's true. But it's more that the sortof-fix is not suported for DIY, and is therefore chargeable outside warranty.

The software update substantially reduces the immediate impact of the problem, but I don't think it's properly fixed, but perhaps Sky do.

I may not be up to date on this, but the bug loses you space, and you have to re-initialise to get it back. It used to be that at every restart a disk repair was attempted which frequently completely trashed the disk so your recordings went wonky. I don't actually believe the bug is fixed, but the disk repair seems to have been removed from the restart and put into a service menu. The effect is that we gradually lose space, but don't now have the diabolical spreading 17 min bug after a restart.

So the answer is: it's livable with now, and you need to do a housekeeping reset (losing all your recordings) if seriously bitten by it. This is a serious technical opeeration requiring in excess of four button presses on the remote, and therefore requires an engineer call out, which is free within warranty but chargeable thereafter.