Sky+ Remote not working on Second TV

ParmMann

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Firstly, here's my setup...
I have Sky+ in my cinema room, connected to Pioneer Plasma screen. It all works fine, no problems at all.
From this box, I have a TV link in my bedroom connected to a Phillips 26PF8946 LCD Screen.
On my Phillips TV, I get all the normal channels fine, and the Sky tunes into channel 6 absolutely fine. I've got myself another Sky+ remote so I can change channels in my bedroom, however, the remote doesn't seem to work 100%. I've setup the remote using the reference codes in the Sky+ manual (0081 for Philips) and the setup process seems to go by the book.
If I press 'TV' on my Sky+ remote, I can control the Philips TV, change channels, volume, turn it on and off, everything. If I press Sky, TV Guide or something, it does go to Channel 6, the SKY channel, but it won't let me do Sky stuff. It won't let me change sky channels, doesn't show the personal planner, tv guide, services etc etc...
How do I get all that in my bedroom?

I don't think it has any impact on the problem, but..
I also have a Sky box in another room (multiroom), connected to 40" Toshiba Rear Projection. This box is connected to TV's in Kitchen, and two other bedrooms. One of the bedrooms has a TV link and is able to use the second Sky remote fine, changes channels and everything.

Anybody know of a sollution? :lease:

Any and all advice appreciated,
Parm

As far as the Phillips is concerned the first thing to check is that the RF2 output has been turned on. Go to services,4,0,1 select,4, then go down to turn on RF output,click right,go to save and press select.

I can't check it on the philips as yet, but I went downstairs to the sky+ box and checked it on the pioneer, RF2 output is enabled.

Now I'm so confused.

I've managed to get my Sky+ remote to control my Philips LCD upstairs, however, it does that, but still doesn't control Sky+ at all. Apparantly, after doing further reading, all Sky+ remotes should automatically control Sky and need not be configured.
If I take the same remote downstairs, it works and I can change sky channels etc. If I bring either of the remotes upstairs and try to use them with my TV link, I get nothing.
I do get Sky upstairs, it's tuned in on my Philips, but I can't use the remotes upstairs to change channels.

help!

ParmMann said:
Now I'm so confused.

I've managed to get my Sky+ remote to control my Philips LCD upstairs, however, it does that, but still doesn't control Sky+ at all. Apparantly, after doing further reading, all Sky+ remotes should automatically control Sky and need not be configured.
If I take the same remote downstairs, it works and I can change sky channels etc. If I bring either of the remotes upstairs and try to use them with my TV link, I get nothing.
I do get Sky upstairs, it's tuned in on my Philips, but I can't use the remotes upstairs to change channels.

help!
Is the red led on the tvlink lit?
If not, that's the problem, try connecting the tvlink directly into the RF2 socket in the back of the digibox downstairs and see if it lights.......if it does you have an open-circuit in the coax feed to upstairs.
If it does not light....it is faulty, or RF2 is not switched on in the menu.....or the digibox is faulty.
Is it one continuous run of coax?......or does it go through a coax wallplate or any other connector which is maybe "isolated" to DC?.

Hi JayCee, thanks for the suggestion.

I've checked the TVLink and the red light is lit. I have a spare TVLink, I've tried that one and the same, the red light is lit, but still not Sky functionality. :suicide:

ParmMann said:
Hi JayCee, thanks for the suggestion.

I've checked the TVLink and the red light is lit. I have a spare TVLink, I've tried that one and the same, the red light is lit, but still not Sky functionality. :suicide:

In that case I'm afraid the digibox is faulty.............I came across one in a customers house with the same symptoms last year.
Sky replaced it.

Is there anyway that I can test that the box is faulty?

Is it at all possible it's not wired up right? It has Aerial in, and then two RF out cables, they're all connected, go out the wall and up into the loft (I think).

If it is broken, will Sky replace it free of charge? I'd have it since January.

If it is broken, will Sky replace it free of charge? I'd have it since January

Any faulty box that is under 12 months old will be replaced free of charge.

I'm a bit confused as to how things are connected but i think its the same problem i had.
Have you got the sky and sky+ rfouts feeding into the same distribution system ? if you have you need to use a sky Plus commbiner from Global. This combines the sky rf signals and crucially splits the ir feed back from the magic eyes.

ParmMann said:
Is there anyway that I can test that the box is faulty?

Is it at all possible it's not wired up right? It has Aerial in, and then two RF out cables, they're all connected, go out the wall and up into the loft (I think)

Well, you stated in an earlier post that the led on the tvlink is lit at the remote location so that proves it is wired okay.

The only way to test the digibox for sure is to plug the tvlink directly into the RF2 socket on the back, point the remote at the tvlink's ir eye and see if it works.........you will need to blank off the front of the digibox with a newspaper or piece of cardboard or similar so that the digiboxes remote sensor on the front panel doesn't pick up the signal from the remote.

I'm sure you've tried this already, but just in case. Does the remote in your bedroom work when you take it into your cinema room. It could be that the remote is set to control a normal sky box instead of sky plus.

Apols for hijacking the thread, but I've got a variation on this problem.

Sky+ remote controller works fine for a while (10 mins or so) , but then freezes :confused:

Running a std TV link in the bedroom from Sky+ box downstairs.

How can it work fine one moment (incl. Sky+ playback) then suddenly stop ?? :rolleyes:

It managed to pack up when I was forwarding through some adverts the other day at x30 - not amused :mad:

Any suggestions please?

Thanks for all the tips guys, it turns out that one of the booster boxes up in the loft was faulty. I've had the aerial guys come back, they've changed the booster box and now everything works like a charm. :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom