• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sky Remote Magc Eye problem.

Mark2603

Standard Member
I've recently upgraded to HD and have moved my old sky + box upstairs into the bedroom. I've also bought a "magic eye" and ran a coax from the RF2 of the sky + box to my daughters bedroom. I've enabled the power on RF2 in the installers menu and I'm getting a good picture in her room but I can't get the "magic eye" to work. Even when I've tried plugging it directly in to RF2 on the sky+ box the LED on it does not light up and it will not work, but when I plug in to my HD box its fine and I can use it to control the HD box from another room so I no there is no problem with the magic eye itself

The problem must be with the sky+ box but I don't know what. Has anybody fixed or knows how to fix this problem?

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
When you turned RF Power On on the Sky box did you "Save Settings"?

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
As the RF Power on RF2 is software controlled try switching the box Off and On again.

Mark2603

Standard Member
Thanks Neil

Do you know if that is possible to fix at home (I'm not too bad with a soldering iron.) or is it a call to sky?
Mark

logiciel

I'd just get an IR Extender and take out the "magic eye".

MartinPickering

Are you connecting the "magic eye" the wrong way round?
What voltage are you measuring on the RF2 socket?
What's the make and model number on the LABEL?

Mark2603

Standard Member
Thanks Martin. Looks like one of the capacitors in the box is on its way out.

I borrowed a meter from work and there was no voltage at RF2 so I took the top off the box and warmed up the capacitors around the RF socket with a hairdryer.I measured the voltage again and got 9.5v. Didn't have any freeze spray to find out which cap it is. I'll get some from work and find out which one it is and replace it.

Cheers
Mark

Member 498429

Standard Member
Tip for others with magic eye problems...

We find that 99% of issues with magic eyes not working correctly is in the coax connection. If a standard RF coaxial plug is used the center core of the coaxial cable often doesnt make a good enough connection for the voltage, the RF signal will be ok but the eye wont work. Either remove the coax and put a slight bend in the coax or solder if that is possible. The other solution is to use F connectors with coaxial adpators. Then ensure that there are no bad connections in the cable feed and that any wall plates are non-isolated.

Ensuring of course that the RF2 feed is switched on in the engineer menu on the box...

Cheers

Phil

Last edited:

MartinPickering

Phil makes a good point, although I see "kinking" the wire as a temporary solution only. Useful as a test but it may not make a good connection forever. Another cause of problems is water ingress via the aerial cable and nearby lightning strike causing internal damage via the aerial cable.

Mark, what's the make and model number on the LABEL?

logiciel

Does the core carry both the programme one way and the IR control back the other?

logiciel

The outer layer, whatever it's called.

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
The "sheath" is grounded - zilch, nada, rien..........unless you mean the PVC covering?

logiciel

OK SN and MP - I accept your superior technical knowledge.:blush:

And thanks for that JayCee. :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom