Sky + remote extender

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by UselessPratt, Jan 25, 2004.

1. UselessPratt

UselessPratt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought I would try one of theose little remote extenders, you know, you take the rf out from the sky + box to a tv in another rooms, then use the extender and another remote to change channel. The problem is that while the extender works just fine when plugged directly into the back of the sky + box, it does not work when it is further away, next to the new tv. The picture gets to the tv and the extender light is on, indicating everything is okay, but it refuses to change channel. The distance between the tv and the sky + box is about 30 feet. I am wondering whether the coax is not suitable. Perhaps I need some "lower" loss than whatever I am using??

2. UselessPratt

UselessPratt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, I just read the answer! I need low loss.

3. idhutt

idhutt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What wall sockets are you using? Do you have a distribution amplifier inplace?

To use the IR repeater, you need non isolated wall sockets sockets (isolated sockets usually are marked -||- or, especially twin sockets, were made more than a few years ago) and a distribution amplifier that allows voltage passthrough. FWIW, I have yet to see a non isolated dual surface mount socket.

-Ian

4. UselessPratt

UselessPratt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yee Gods. Okay. Why is nothing ever simple? I have ordered a load bits and it looks like I am about to re-wire the entire house
    :-(
    Anyway, thanks for the help.

5. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. UselessPratt

UselessPratt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm. Thanks for that. I spent a few quid trying a better extender than the one I have before re-wiring the house!

7. UselessPratt

UselessPratt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wahooooo!!!
    Thank you Fernsehman.
    Reading about my fault in the links you sent me, I found out that there were better quality remote extenders than the one I had. Before re-wiring the house with double shielded cable, I tried a new and better extender. To be precise, the Digilink from satcure. It works just fine!! Fantastic. This has made my week!! :)