• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sky refusing to repair Sky+ boxes, thinking of getting freesat

King Antonius

Standard Member
Basically our Sky+ box died the otherday. Constant freeze ups and the fan going full speed constantly and resetting when watching recorded programms.

Now, Sky wanted £65 to send out an engineer AND £99 for a replacement sky+ box.

They can get lost.

We are thinking of going across to Freesat (Cant get freeview here, so it needs to be though the sat dish) and i have a couple of questions.

1: I have £150 MAXIMUM to spend. What is the best box i can get? Preferably HD.

2: We currently have Multiroom. Can we use both cables (the one dwnstairs and upstairs) and attatch a freesat box to both? (Eg a SD one downstairs and a HD one upstairs?)

3: Instead of forking out a fortune for a one with a HDD inside it, is it easy enough to hook up a DVD recorder and program it to record? (like you could in the past with a VCR and the little numbers in the TV guide)

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
Basically our Sky+ box died the otherday. Constant freeze ups and the fan going full speed constantly and resetting when watching recorded programms.

Now, Sky wanted £65 to send out an engineer AND £99 for a replacement sky+ box.

That is incorrect it is either £65 for a call out and will include replacement of everything necessary (inc the digibox if necessary but usually with a refurbished unit) OR a NEW Sky+ at £99.

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
indeed sky may have mis quoted their own prices, your existing sky box will work as a FTA reciever with the sky EPG so you only need one recording box to replace sky+ using a dVD-r like the old days is possible but if your used to sky+ it is a major faff phone to cancel sky you may end up with a Sky HD box instead of your + box for free and discounted subs

rb5201

When my sky+ box failed they offered me the same, if you have been with them a while they will not want to lose you, phone up to cancel and I am sure you will get a new box for free, plus I would think if you good you could get yourself a hd box fitted free if it means you staying with them.

Starburst

Distinguished Member
Well that is what they told us. TBH, i'm sick of sky. And paying for a service that i watch about 10% of.

Which begs the question why?
I'm not being flippant but come on what else would you continue to pay for if you used it so infrequently and of course reducing packages to lower costs and keep things like cheap broadband or SKY+ thrown in have been options.

Broadz

Distinguished Member
...when in fact the title of this thread should be Sky are offering to repair Sky+ boxes but I'm not prepared to pay for it.

Snapman

...when in fact the title of this thread should be Sky are offering to repair Sky+ boxes but I'm not prepared to pay for it.

When my initial twelve month contract period with Sky ended, I recall they did send me an invitation to take out a maintenance contract with them. I can't recall how much the payments were but they did clearly state that, without such a contract, a minimum call out fee would be £65.

I didn't choose to pay and now, because I use Freesat, I don't even have Sky but I really don't think I was in any way misled.

Even although I'd thought everything had been dealt with, I'm now in receipt of a letter from Sky informing me that they want to refund £11:29 which they owe me and are asking me how they should pay it to me.

David

Last edited:

swedish cook

Ring to cancel and they'll change their mind.

But if you do cancel, don't buy a standalone dvd recorder which I see you suggested - once you're used to a proper PVR it'll seem like the stoneage again, got to set the right channel on dvd and the sky receiver, can't let anyone touch remote whilst it records ... don't go there.

Freesat HDR, freeview PVR or if you want satllite recording on a budget Fortec Passion+ which I believe has some replacement firmware to pickup freesat epg (only single tuner though).

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom