1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sky red on panny 6 via JS rgb2vga

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by connon, May 28, 2004.

1. connon

connon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Finally got round to buying a panny 6 after a lot of excellent advice from this forum.

setup:
    sky via JS-TECH rgb2vga converter to VGA
    contrast on sky set low
    pwd6 contrast and brightness set to -15
    Panasonic sky db30 box

problem: red colours on sky bloom

with RGBV input through VGA - colour + tint cannot be adjusted

I have tried adusting both the the RED W/B High/LOW settings in advanced settings but think these may be for grayscale.
    Tried to balance these using DVE but cannot get a correct colour balance.

Anyone got any suggestions or settings to try

2. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    That's one of the downisides of the RGB2VGA as you lose control over colour as in theory RGB should be perfect...

I think you can alter red push in the service menu - maybe you can have a chat with Gordon from Convergent AV who may be able to help...

JJ

3. connon

connon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Many thanks for the response and pointer :thumbsup:

I did a search before posting and did notice that red push was briefly mentioned in another thread. I was not sure if set this would affect all inputs though ?

Just a little frustrating as the colour balance on the component input and even the dreaded scart are superb.

4. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
  5. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Mine does this too using the RGB2VGA converter. The red blooms.

Any solutions though ?

6. Tee Tee

Tee Tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Same here - same setup. As connon says, colour via scart does not exhibit this problem.

If anyone's got any ideas I'd be very grateful. Picture is otherwise fantastic.

7. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hmmmm ok I am gonna be buying this screen/setup soon, how over powering is the red? Is the picture really THAT much better than through scart, I will be sitting apprx 8 feet from the screen so if there is a noticeable difference when that close I may still have to get the rgb2vga convertor and just live with the in your face red...hmmmmm....

8. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Haven't seen the scart connection but the red can be quite bad.

Surely not everyone is suffering from this as there would be more unrest about it ?

9. connon

connon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The scart picture is okay but a little soft and fuzzy compared to a VGA connection via the JS RGB2VGA box. I am using the plasma 70% for sky and 30% for films so it was important to get the best picture possible.
    I sit around 9 feet away from the plasma and find the JS box worth the money for the improvement that it makes. Its not a dramatic improvement but does produce a more clear solid looking image for daily viewing.

The red problem does not seem to show up to much in skin tones.
    However when a very bright red object is on screen then it is obvious that the red is to strong. A prime example would be those annoying red F1 cars that keep winning all the races !!

The scart does show a very slight increase in red so i guess it is partly an issue with the sky signal favouring red a little more.
    It seems to be more apparent through the VGA setup though as here it blooms.

I guess one solution would be to change from a RGB2VGA to a JS RGB to component box. This would give me back some colour settings that are not available using the RGB2VGA option. I am worried that i will lose some of the sharpness that the RGB signal provides though.

I could also consider using a professional company to calibrate the screen. However after spending a lot a money this would not be possible for a few months.

10. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    How does the picture compare using RGB to component v's RGB2VGA ?

Is there much in it, I have the VGA connector and could be swayed to the component side

11. connon

connon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Is anyone using a JS RGB to component converter for sky to the VGA input on a panny 5/6.

Sky scart > JS component converter > VGA plasma input

My Amp does not support component switching so would have to use this method.

can anyone recommend a 3RCA component to VGA cable.

Thanks

12. connon

connon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Noticed this response from Dr John Sim to a similar question

The RGB to Component converter is superb for connecting Sky +, but gives a slightly softer picture than the RGB to Plasma VGA unit. The slightly softer picture can be advantageous as it does filter some noise from Sky, but for the absolute best picture then it has to be the RGB to Plasma VGA unit.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

It would be interesting to know how normal scart vs JS component convertor compares for sky as both have a softer picture than RGBV. Anyone ?

13. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    What we do with the RGB to Plasma VGA unit is to pass the picture directly from Sky to the plasma, all the picture colour levels coming out the box are identical to that entering. This way, we can keep all the detail that's in the picture. For some, Sky can have very strong reds and having such a raw picture can be distracting, you're used to having an fiddled with picture!

There are some settings that you can adjust on the screen. First, there's the obvious brightness and contrast levels. Next, you can adjust the colour balanced from normal to cool to give a more blue tint to the picture. There's gamma settings in the advanced options. Also, in the advanced settings there's option for adjusting the white balance for red areas for both light and dark red areas.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

14. Tee Tee

Tee Tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi connon,

I'm using the setup above, but with a freeview box rather than Sky. I also have cable and both this and the freeview are connected to a JS auto scart switcher, then to the JS scart to component converter and finally to the amp. I made the 3RCA to VGA cable myself and am very happy with the performance (also cheap and easy!). Please PM me if you want details.

Cheers

15. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    They're relatively easy to do, but do take time. We've built several for various customers. Just make sure that you use good quality connectors.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

16. connon

connon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Many thanks for the response

I have tried adusting both the the RED W/B High/LOW settings in advanced settings using DVE and colour filters using both cool and normal setting.
    I was unable to eliminate the high red saturation levels and adjusting the settings made the other colour balance a little cold/sickly looking.

I guess this could be calibrated out by some degree by a professional and by other settings in the service menu that i dare not investigate.

I guess it comes down to personal preference whether the red glow really bothers you or not. Even on my scart and component inputs i have the colour and tint in - figures.

As you mention the excellent convertor (in my view) is passing the full signal direct into the VGA input. The limitation is on the plasma screen in that its default colour temp for red and other colours is too high. And the inability to adjust colout + tint while using the VGA input and RGB does not allow me to easily dial it out.

I guess for me it may be worth investigating the JS RGB to Component convertor.