1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SKY+ Recordings to PC? plus other questions

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Zarch, Nov 3, 2003.

1. Zarch

Zarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Thinking of upgrading to SKY+, but have a few questions if you dont mind. I've done a search and found no help there.

Is there anyway of getting your recorded programmes over to your PC? What format are the recordings stored on the internal hard drive? Is there anyway of getting to the hard drive at a "dos" level (without whipping the thing out of the box)

Can you record images from external sources, ie video etc on your SKY+ box?

Do you get to keep your existing SKY box when they come to install SKY+?

Does your 2nd RF tvlink still work ok with SKY+ (including the remote?)

Many thanks in advance

Mick

2. mikeycrawford

mikeycrawford
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mick,

the only way (currently) of getting the recorded programs onto your PC is to capture them with a Capture card. This is because of the encryption inherent in the MPEG Sky feed. It is possible to fit the SKY+ hard disk into a PC and view the contents of the hard disk, but you will not be able to view the MPEG streams themselves.

As far as I am aware, you cannot get to a DOS view with the SKY+ box.

You can't record anything other than what SKY pipe into your house through the minidish. You cannot even record stations that are not in the EPG (i.e. the various ITV regions).

The original SKY box is yours to keep as long as you have not broken any of the terms and conditions of having the box. I think you also have to have had your contract 12 months (open to corrections on this).

The RFLink/TVLink will work fine with SKY+, however you will need a new SKY+ remote. The SKY and SKY+ remotes are not interoperable (although it is possible to get CH+ CH- working).

3. Cambo

Cambo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    They will even re-site your existing Sky box for free! Albeit only with the free to air channels.

4. Noodle

Noodle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I kept my original box even though I'd only been on contract 2 monts.

You can also record something that's not on the EPG with manual recording I believe, although not from any external sources (DVD player etc).