sky+ recordings locking up and reseting to the start

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by shoestring25, Sep 8, 2004.

1. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +507
    my sky + recordings have been locking up and resting back to the start. the whole programe has been recorded and i have to fast forward past the bit where it got stuck and it then plays properly till it gets to another bit where it gets stuck.

this is a particular pain when copying to video tape i mark out 3 or 4 films to copy it then gets stuck half way through one of them and i then have to try again.

why is this? anybody else having the same or similar problems? and does anybody know what if anything i can do about it?

anyhelp would be excellent as its starting to really wind me up now

:confused:

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Could be the early signs of hard disk failure, a full system reset might be worth trying to wipe the disk and start again, you'll lose all recordings though.
    If you are under warranty then certainly make use of it, probably mean a straight box swap though.

3. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I had a funny problem last week with mine actually.

I lost "most" of the recorded programs!

The disk was not full. It had about 60-70% free.

Switched it on one night and apart from about 4 recordings everything was gone!

Anyone had that as well?

Thanks

Tone

4. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +507
    going to do a full system reset like suggested see if that helps. ive got to transfer the stuff to tape probelm is i carnt just mark it all copy and then record it to tape as it keeps locking so i think i will have to have a long sit down and watch it all.

just checked i brouight it last october so asumiong i have a years warenty it will be running out very soon so i should get it sorted while i still dont have to pay for it.

5. adrian3221

adrian3221

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I had the same problem with my Amstrad Sky+ box a few months ago. Playing back recorded programmes, it would skip ahead a few minutes or skip back some. Did a full system reset and that cured the problem.

6. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Could this be due to fragmentation?
    I would imagine this would happen, wouldn't it?

Tone

7. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +507
    it sounds like that could be right then all you would have to do is to defragemnt the hard drive. will a full system reset do this?

8. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I think as the reset clears all the recordings and perm deletes them that yes the disk essentially gets a defrag.
    Not 100% sure but it makes sense!

Cheers

Tone

9. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +507
    did a full system reset things look ok so far....

10. ndenbow

ndenbow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi,

My Pace v2 box is doing exactly the same thing. Really annoying. It's only started doing it the last two weeks or so. It might be coincidence but I had to perform housekeeping s401s to regain some free space. Seems to have started since then.

Same symptoms. Forwarding through recorded programmes causes crashing and programme to go back to start.

I really wish Sky would produce a more friendly way of transferring stuff onto other media. I recently bought Pinnacle Studio, which I plan to use instead of tape.

I hope Sky acknowledge this locking problem and at least have a go at sorting it.

11. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +507
    doing the full system rest seams to have sorted mine out. ive not had a recording lock up since.

12. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +507
    its started doing it again tried to copy 4 films to tape and it locked in the middle of the second one.

this is apain im going to have to get it sorted out my warenty runs out next month

13. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +507
    i have noticed that this is due to fraction of a second loss of signal in the recording. i have no idea what is causing this as i have had this happen on a perfectly fine day so we can rule out whether interferance

14. peterc

peterc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bad wiring connection from the dish to the box maybe..? could be a wind or a bird knocking it causing a broken wire to induce less signal than normally when not moved...? bit 'o straw clutching here...

15. dgc

dgc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My pace v2 has developed same locking problem - did systen reset solve your problem or did you have to get the box fixed?

16. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +507
    i did a full system reset and that sorted it out for a while.

the problem is in fact small fraction of a second losses in signal that then cause the playback of recordings to lock. this is because on signal 2 the siganl strength is not as hi as signal and can drop alot leading to a loss in signal.

i switched the LNB cables going into the back to see if signal 2 was still weaker than signal 1 to see if it was the siganl comming from the dish or a problem with the box. found it was the box. then i went to the services menu option 1 LNB and switched all the ons to off then went back in and pressed the red button to reset LNB settings.

so far so good havnt had a recording lock up so far will keep you posted if it starts again. the next course of action im told is a replacement box

17. ndenbow

ndenbow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Over the weekend mine got worse, and recording programmes generally went AWOL. When I tried to access the Sky+ planner the box went into standby and would not respond for about 20 minutes. After it finally came back into life my entire planner was empty and nothing now records, error 'System Fault - call 0870x xx x x'. I have called Sky and an engineer is due Tuesday. The guy on the phone said a reset would probably not help, and might render the box unusable. I will let you know what the engineer says. BTW my warranty runs out in 3 weeks. This sounds suspiciously like one of the other guys on this forum.

18. ndenbow

ndenbow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    The engineer arrived this morning, but I had already found the problem. I decided to check the signal strengths for both inputs and discovered that input 2 had no lock (and hence signal). I swapped the cables but got nothing, which means the second input receptor had failed. The engineer confirmed (I didn't tell him I had fiddled!).

So, it looks like my second signal input was intermittently faulty and gradually making the recordings worse over time, eventually causing the hard disk to crash totally.

Anyway, box replaced. Anyone know how the warranty works with replacements? Do I get a nominal 90 days or something like that?

19. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +507
    you only get 1 years warenty from the date that the origianl box was installed.

just rang them up and thats what i was told