1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ recordings 5 minutes long

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by NicolasB, May 21, 2004.

1. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    An annoying habit my Sky+ box has recently got into is that it will occasionally record only 5 minutes of a program and then decide that the program is finished. This is definitely not the result of a power failiure, and the recording is listed as successful, i.e. it's not "clashed", "start missed", "cancelled", etc.

It really seems to have it in for "Neighbours" - quite often refuses to record one of the two showings, and occasionally cocks up both of them. Some people would no doubt regard this as evidence that the box is becoming more discerning, but my girlfriend begs to differ. :)

I'm wondering if it might be the BBC's fault - off-hand I can't remember it doing this to any non-BBC programme.

Any suggestions?

2. davej

davej
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Happened to me last week with Have I Got News For You. Oh what do you know - a BBC programme.......

3. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Definatly the box is developing intellgence, I'd Christen it Hal & sell it on Ebay. This would then allow you to replace it, before you catch it throwing an elctric iron in your bath with you. The only other option is do a full reset, houskeeping etc (loose all recordings) & see if matters improve. I haven't read this problem before, but the offered solution seems to be the stock reply when + goes arwy - before replacing the box. :(

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    There has been reported problems for a good 6 months centered around BBC programs or more accurately the BBC EPG data.
    The introuduction of the full regional service with it's mix of broadcast hardware was mentioned in regards to the protection flag than can in some cases be inserted by new playout hardware installed by the BBC.

It might be worth attempting to record the BBC1 program via the London region which I believe uses the original broadcast hardware which also explains why when viewing in letterbox you don't get the white dots.

5. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    BBC1 London is the standard BBC1 on Sky, isn't it? I could try one of the other regions instead.

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

If you have no smartcard in the digibox then it yes BBC1 London is the default channel on 101.

What you see on channel 101 is decided by which postcode you have which is known to the smartcard and it will allocate the correct BBC1 region to 101. I personally get the west midlands version even though I live in the east midlands which is an issue with the outdated mpa of the UK the BBC/SKY are workign off of.

7. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Usually happens when you are watching live as well as recording. This is a bug that came about with dual recording.

Were you watching live as well as recording?