1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ recording, was good.... now gone

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by markbingo, Jan 18, 2005.

1. markbingo

markbingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    I have had a strange thing happen to me a few times recently on my Sky+ box.

Set up and recorded a few programmes, and they have shown in my planner as recorded, BUT then a few days later I go back to actually watch the show, and it has changed and now says "Failed".

Haven't been able to reproduce this error on demand, it just seems to do it of it's own accord occasionally.

It's a real :censored: , because when you have something recorded, you expect it to stay recorded and usable until you are finished with it ! Not too much to ask is it ? :confused:

For the record, I am running the original HDD, and the programs are always marked with the Blue keep symbol. And yes, there was also spare room on the HDD for future recordings. Have spoken to SKY and they just want me to pay them for an engineer call out (!!!) to work out what the problem is. :mad:

Anybody got any ideas on what might be up ?

Cheers

Mark

2. skyboy

skyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same problem. Often happens, especially if recording 2 channels or watching one whilst recoding another. I have a Pace Sky + since late 2001. Does that make it v1 or v2?
    Is there a v3?
    Is v1 worse than v2 in any way?

3. redknag

redknag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I'm also getting this problem on a v1 box. Also, when you delete the failed recording you dont get the space back, even after a rebuild. :mad:

4. RuddyRoad

RuddyRoad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,442
    I contacted Sky+ customer services about this problem today. The lady was very helpful, and said it was a problem they were aware of and were trying to find the cause (and solution). However, all the recorded programmes were lost forever and had to be deleted..... :mad:

5. markbingo

markbingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    RuddyRoad, thanks for the info from Sky.

I hit a brick wall with them, all they wanted from me was a £65 call out charge, I must have been really unlucky with the idiot I spoke to.

So........

I blatted my harddrive, did a housekeep, rebuilt the menus, restarted the LMB's and did a cold reboot of the box.

Only lost one programme in the last week. And have all my HDD space available to me again ( just before I did the above I had lost almost 50% of it )

I do hope the Sky+ software team pull their finger out of their :censored: and start to communicate to their customers. They know who we are, and where we are, so why the hell dont they drop us all a letter explaining the "known" issues that are being worked on and a rough timescale of their next attempt to fix.

Oh..... hang on....... I just remembered...... we're talking about SKY.

No chance of that then. :thumbsdow

6. RuddyRoad

RuddyRoad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,442
    Well, since my last posting my Sky + box has almost completely died...it won't switch on, despite all attempts to sort it through Tech Support.

It's out of warranty, and I think basically the hard-drive is kaput. The £65 call-out charge will have to be paid, but the good thing is that if they can't repair it (& tach support reckon they won't be able to) they just swap it for a new box. I suppose £65 isn't too much for a new box :suicide:

7. JiMbOb_74

JiMbOb_74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Make sure this 'new box' is a new one and not some reconditioned rubbish with someone elses problems..

For the 65 call out I would replace the drive myself with a one with more capacity.. I changed mine when my drive failed for 160gig I think for about 45 and it took about 10mins to change.All you need is a screwdriver with a security bit!

Hope I have helped

8. markbingo

markbingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    If they give you a "new" box, make sure you get a "new" warranty to go with it.
    Even if you have to "sign up" for another 12 months, it will be worth it in the long run.

Personally, I think I would try and swap the HDD first, and see if thats a cure.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

Mark

9. RuddyRoad

RuddyRoad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,442
    Thanks...I did think about changing the hard drive....but if theat doesn't solve the problem I'll be left with a hard drive that I dont want to be putting into a new box. The "new" box comes with a 3 month warranty, so you are right, it sounds like it might be reconditioned. My other problem is that the modem on my Sky + box is broken, so I would probably be better off getting it all replaced....

10. RuddyRoad

RuddyRoad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,442
    Sky guy came today, box not repairable, as expected, so it was replaced with a braNd new onE.

Fine now, except i have an Amstrad instead of a Pace box :(