Sky+ - Recording/viewing connections

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Biccy, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am about to purchase new tv & dvd recorder (with RGB input & output). Just wondering about the connections...for recording from sky+ to dvd recorder i guess i have to get a scart for audio & video, but do i then go from dvd recorder to tv with an rgb scart for normal live viewing..... or when viewing live tv should i unplug the audio/video scart to dvd recorder & put in an rgb scart to go direct to tv (as i have s.sound & optical from sky+ to amp for sound for live viewing) Sorry if this seams a daft question but i have no experience with this & am bit confused!

2. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    This is the normal way to connect.

Sky+ TV out to DVD AV2
    DVD AV1 to TV AV1
    Sky+ S-Video to TV ( only needed when recording a terrestial channel )

Make sure Sky+ is set to output RGB and DVD AV1 is also set to output RGB. DVD AV2 input should be RGB also.

This way you don't plug/unplug anything once it's set up.

You watch Sky+ on TV AV1 as it passes through the DVDR. You record from Sky+ by selecting AV2 on your DVDR - it records in RGB giving you the best quality recording. If you are recording from a terrestial channel, select whatever input your S-Video connection is going into - this way you can still watch Sky as your signal will not pass through when recording.

3. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brill, ta for that. Thought I was gunna need an extra RGB cable & keep swapping things about. Am i right in thinking then that i need fully wired scart to run from sky+ to dvdr? & just 1 RGB from dvdr to tv? if so will the rgb from dvdr to tv cover dvd viewing & live sky viewing?

4. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    You seem to be a little confused. A fully wired scart and an RGB scart is the same thing.

Basically you need 2 RGB scarts - one from Sky+ to DVDR and one from DVDR to TV. This will give you recording in RGB from Sky+ and viewing from DVD and Sky+ in RGB.

5. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Probably am confused, total newbie to home cinema! I'd just read somewhere that you can get RGB scarts that are purely for video (like the QED AV4110) & therefore are slightly better cos they don't have to be wired for sound too. Admittedly i know little so tend to believe the adverts.

6. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Had a look at that cable. It sounds like a complete contradiction of terms - it states fully wired then says all unneeded connections removed! Anyway a straight forward RGB cable will do what you need.