Sky+ Recording Settings

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by chuckalicious, Aug 11, 2006.

1. chuckalicious

chuckalicious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Can someone help me here. I have Sky+ and am very happy with it, however, I've noticed that most things I've recorded have a good 5 minutes or so at the start, and sometimes at the end of the program. I've also noticed that if I tell it to record something that's on directly after something else I've just recorded, on the same channel, it sometimes misses off the start of the second program.

So under the recording settings I have start and end times set to auto. If I changed it to say 1 minute, would it add 1 minute to that already 5 or so minutes, or if the program was set to begin at 9pm, would it start at 8:59pm?

Also, I've noticed a couple of times that it has recorded something completely different, normally something that's on after the thing that was supposed to be recorded... any idea why?

I have instant rewind enabled.

2. FRANTIC FRANC

FRANTIC FRANC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Weird! Yep we usually set the time before & after to 2mins. The only time it tends to record the program after is when you have used pause and then later press record near the end of the program to save it. if you use the search & scan banner to highlight the program you want and then press record the R icon should appear to the left of the program's title. If it continues to play up try a force update and see if it changes anything
    Cheers, Franc

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

The SKY+ starts and stops as directed by the EPG but the EPG does not reflect the actual start/stop times of the program on the day which can be on some channels many minutes out of sync and sometimes on purpose (BBC and ITV in primetime as they try to spoil eachothers lineups).

The same reason explains why back to back reocrdings may mean you miss the end of the first programme, the EPG tells the SKY+ to stop but the actual program is running late. If the SKY+ was in standby then it could use the second tuner to record both programmes in full (at least as the EPG dictated).

IF you change the padding to 1 minute then the SKY+ would add 1 minute to the start time as indicated by the EPG and 1 minute to the end again as set down by the EPG. If the broadcaster is not keeping to it's own published EPG schedule then you could still miss the start or the end.

Every now and again the EPG can be wrong or outdated, it's not common but it has happended.

4. chuckalicious

chuckalicious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the reply. I have set mine to 2 minutes either side too.

What I also noticed is the one and only time I put my box on standby overnight, it didn't record what it was supposed to. It didn't record anything. I thought the Sky+ box could record from standby?

I'm scared to turn it onto standby at night in case it updates itself and either looses all the recordings, or just breaks :(

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Yes the box records in standby and if a software update is sent then the box will probably pick it up it it's in standby or not and then reboot and losing the contents of the planner for a planned reboot is rare.

The recording failure and standby would just have been a co-incidence, try an experiment during the day when you can watch the box:)

6. burgeruk

burgeruk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    channel4 are the worst offenders for late programmes,if you record anything that's listed to start at 8pm it actually starts at 8.05pm,because of this stupid 3 minute wonder thing they've been doing for a while,hence you get about 7-8 minutes of unwanted stuff