1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ recording question

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by HMHB, Aug 21, 2002.

1. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,744
    Is it possible to record from a vcr onto a sky+ hard disk recorder ?
    The reason I'm asking is I have a load of video tapes and I'd like to make up compilation tapes by recording onto the hard disk first and then back onto another tape.
    Please note I would not be copying pre-recorded tapes only ones I have recorded myself

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    No.

3. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,744
    Ok thanks for the reply - looks like I'd still need 2 vcrs as well as Sky+ then for this kind of thing

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Wouldn't be my choice at this time but TIVO or a DVD recorder will do the job for you if you don't fancy using two VCR's.
    Infact archieving onto DVD or CDR via a PC could be a reasonable alternative.

5. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another great way to do this would be to use a gadget called Linx from Pinnacle. It is £34 from dabs.com.

It plugs into your USB port of your PC and has composite video and stereo phonos on the other end. It allows you to record off a VCR, (or any other source come to that). You can then assemble all your clips, add titles, transitions etc and then output it back to the VCR. You will need a Scart adaptor with a direction switch on it.

It also allows you to make VCDs SVCDS etc etc.

Great piece of kit for archiving old VCR footage and its very cheap.

Heartily recomend it.

Rog

6. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,744
    That sounds brilliant - I have couple of computers with large hard disks so that would be no problem. What's the quality like ? Does it lose much during the transfer over to hard disk ?

7. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John the quality is pretty much under your control. When you do a capture it writes it to the disk as an AVI file. You have options for the quality at this point. I have a 5Gb partition I use for capture and outputing. If you have more space its even better.

So capture to AVI at best quality. Then the Pinnacle Studio 7 software allows you to output it in all sorts of formats including Mpeg2 DVD format where the quality is good.

I have only really turned videos into Video CDs where you loose a bit of picture clarity from the original tape. But SVCD looks good.

Quite a few of my friends and colleagues have now got one and for the price and convienience you cant beat it.

Rog