Sky + recording on DVD

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Greamec, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Greamec

Greamec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I get Sky+ and a DVD recorder (not DVD/HDD recorder), will I be able to transfer sky+ recordings onto a dvd?

many thanks
    Greame

2. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    No problems at all except for Sky Box office which is copy protected. Even then you can buy a special cable to remove the copy protection.

The recording quality on a 2 hour record is almost indistinguishable from the original broadcast, though usually not as good as a commercial DVD.

3. Greamec

Greamec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks BOB,

Would you be able to point me in the direction of one of those leads please. When I put my sky+ recordings onto DVD will I hve to watch what I am transfering or can I watch another channel.
    Also do these DVD recorders use RW DVD?
    And when I buy a DVD recorder do I have to make sure it has a certain type of output/input for it to work with sky + or is it just a scart lead. Is there a recomended DVD recorder to use with sky+, or are they much of a muchness?

Many thanks
    Greame

4. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I've just noticed that we're not allowed to discuss the copy protection removal on this forum, just do an internet search.

No, the Sky+ only has one decoder so you can't see anything else while recording to DVD. It does have a copy function which means that you can record several programs in one go if you wish. I just tend to set of a record before I go to bed so its not to much hassle.

They all use different formats so have a look at other threads on this forum to make your choice. They all do at least one form of rewritable and one of write once.

All DVD recorders sold in Britain come with Scarts, some have extras as well. The main thing to look out for is that they record in RGB as this has a big impact on quality.

They all work well with Sky+ the actual choice depends on your own preferences. I use the Panasonic E55 which gives excellent record quality for a reasonable price but is not so suitable for sharing rewritable recordings with friends because the RAM format won't play on most other machines, though it does support -R which is very compatible. The best thing you can do is read through this and other forums to help you make up your mind on the model for you.