1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SKY+ recording error

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by vectrasri99, Jan 13, 2005.

1. vectrasri99

vectrasri99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting one this as I've only had Sky+ for 2 days.

Pace box
    Model No 3.024
    Version 9F2116
    O/S 1.31A8
    EPG 1.28d

Program recording and using time slip (pause live TV).
    Come out and into Sky+ planner.
    Select program above that is "recording" and the select play which if behind real time (not end so I'm still behind live TV).
    Watching program and the red light goes out (program has now finished and sky+ has stopped recording) all OK and program still playing on screen.
    Press TV guide and then select Sky+ planner. The above recorded item now displays recorded, length etc. but has a disc usage of 0% and there is nothing to play.

This has happened twice now and is making the whole sky+ thing a waste of time as you don't know if it will lose the data.

Can't believe its the disc but what do you guys think. Help please.

M

2. Dickdastardly

Dickdastardly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are probably confusing the software. If you are going to do anything else (other than go to the loo etc.) best not use live pause. Just set the program you are watching to record, then you can mess about all you like.

3. Member 231429

Member 231429

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    Same thing has been happening to me this week. After rewinding a program (instant rewind) we then decide to record it. You can then go into the program planner and watch the program while it is still recording all the way through but as soon as you try to watch it again it will not access it.

Strangely the second time you go into it the recorded percentage is 0% but there is a yellow shading on the section above signifying it is taking space.

I recently upgraded my drive to a 200gb maxtor but assuming your drive is still the standard one we can assume it is nothing to do with the hard drive.

4. vectrasri99

vectrasri99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly Dickdastardly the software should not let you do things that get it into a state. The SKY+ system has been out for years now and this is unacceptable because Sky happly broadcast (esp. up to Christmas) look pause live TV, rewind TV etc. etc. The manual states that it does this.

katorik
    I would say your disc is fine and your having a simular problem to me except that the yellow bar is one pixel or none ie. nothing on the disc although I was just watching it.

When you say this week do you mean fine last and other weeks. If this is the case then maybe Sky are doing something funny.

I'm a systems/software engineer so I've been trying to get my head around some of the possible probs it might be having. There is no reason that when the header is displaying "recorded", "duration" given then this should have been the flag to confirm start and end blocks (index) associating it with the header. Why has it lost the data which I believe is still on the disc which will now just get over written as gash.

Standard disc and 2 days old.

Does SKY+ actually work reliably?

M

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    When I had Sky+ installed just over a year ago, the installer gave me just one piece of advice - "Don't set the instant rewind capability to more than 30 minutes". He said that if I did, the box would become unreliable, and sometimes slow to react. I followed his advice, and apart from the odd "glitch" , which all computers suffer from, (and the Sky+ box is merlely a decicated computer) I have had no real problems with it, despite having upgraded the HD to 200Gb.

6. vectrasri99

vectrasri99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's set to 30min (default setting). We should not have to limit the functionality when it provides it.

M

7. Member 231429

Member 231429

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    mine is set to 60 mins on the instant rewind

8. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    When you change channels on a Sky+ box, the box has to wipe the instant rewind data already recorded, to start a new recording. If the box has allocated 60 minutes instant rewind space, it takes marginally longer to do this process, and the box will seem less responsive. If you want to call that "limiting functionality", that's up to you, but it's just the way it works.

9. vectrasri99

vectrasri99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not so much limited functionality more like it just doesn't work properly. I think this product is so close to one of the best things ever, but it is flakey and one error can really ruin it.

Having the best car in the world and then one day the brakes fail. You don't have full confidence anymore which is where I stand with recording things that I really want or worse the wife.

Did do a lot of live rewind, pause comeout, backin etc. etc. last night and it worked well although it didn't turn the red light on whilst doing another recording but had it in the planner. It did record though but just another little bug. I'm I recording to disc IF TRUE turn the bloody light on.

M

10. Member 231429

Member 231429

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    Basically the problem seems to occur on mine if you press the record button on a channel that you have been on for some time so it records from the start of the program (subject to how long you have got instant rewind set for), you then go into program planner and select the program that you are still recording but start it at the beginning. It plays fine all the way through to the end however at the end if you try to play it again through the planner immediately it's listed there but won't play.

The error doesn't occur if instead of going into the planner the first time to watch from the beginning, you use instant rewind whilst it is still recording. You can then go into the planner at the end and it will work.

This seems to happen every time you do the above. Granted that not many people want to watch the same program repeatedly immediately but if you have 3 year old children watching the disney channel you will know what I mean.

11. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    It is supposed to do that. Press "record" during a recording, and it will record from the start of a programme. I think it is dependent on how much time you've allocated for instant rewind, though.

It's not supposed to do that ! Hopefully that will be fixed soon. New firmware is being developed all the time.

12. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    My 2nd + box with upgraded HDD seldom plays me up, working as per manual with only very rare failed recordings, or very occasional odd behavior. However reading here they do seem to be very much 'a computer' where they work/don't work, please themselves how they work. I wish I had a penny for everytime my Pc did something queer. I'd like to understand these things, but sometimes there isn't a sensible answer without a lot of research. Like Dick dastardly's advice to resolve the problem - dont do it, I'd leave my instant rewind at an hour, (& do) & just 'record' any started programs you want to 're-view, or just 'rewind' them. The short answer to your question seems to be 'No'.

13. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've had Sky+ for about 5 days and have already experienced this problem also. I was recording a few minutes of football, to demonstrate the vertical banding on the crappy Amstrad box for when I get an engineer out, and manually stopped the recording before the program ended. Viewed it at half time and all was well but this morning the recording had gone but was still taking up space on the drive. Did a planner rebuild to get the space back but no footie recording.

Just tried to do the same tonight and lost the recording again, do you have to manually save the recording if you stop it manually? Or am I doing something else wrong?

Also starting a recording half way through a program does not seem to have recorded from when the channel was first selected as I might expect.

Please help if you can!

Wackojacko32

14. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I've not experienced any of this. But I believe housekeeping or rebooting will display your 'lost' programs. If a program's recorded (not live paused) it will be saved. It sounds like the engineer will be revisiting ) -:

15. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Have tried the planner rebuild and it did get the space back but the recorded program was deleted. The recording I did last night of the Football was showing in the viewer as viewed, was not taking up any space on the disk and could not be selected for viewing only deletion. Have just placed a call to sky for an engineer's visit.

Thanks for your reply

Wackojacko32

16. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Engineer who came out today told me not to use Planner Rebuild or System reset as these can damage the HDD. Said only the engineers could defraf the HDD safely!

Wackojacko32

17. vileda

vileda
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I too get this where.

The watching of a recording programme makes the recording unwatchable following the end of the programme (0% disk used)

This is the only fault I can find with Sky+, It's a problem which can be recreated at will so i suppose it is now classed as a feature :eek: