Sky + Record only as communal dish

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by tim k, Feb 9, 2005.

1. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please can anyone confirm that if i order a sky plus package and install will I be able to use the box for the 5.1 output as well as the record function only whilst setup with the pre installed sat connection in my apartment (connected to communal dish). ie no lnb setup, double cabling etc. And if so has anyone had experience of using a sky + box in this kind of situation, how does it perform.

The only reason being that a destacker option is looking quite pricey with installation charges etc in these brand new apartments.

2. Neelix

Neelix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Tim, I'm in exactly the same situation with a new build apartment which has Sky Digital hard wired in i.e. no dish. I was told that you cannot use Sky+ as there is only a single connection but I'm not sure that makes complete sense as they are onviously feeding from a single dish to a 100 odd apartments! I was wondering whether it is possible to split the signal into two separate cables and work it like that :confused: If not then I am guessing that Sky+ should still function it would simply mean you cannot record a channel and watch another at the same time or perhaps this would then disable the Sky+ box from working at all :thumbsdow

3. Neelix

Neelix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This thread on another forum makes for interesting reading. http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=4241671 It would seem that a Sky+ box will work fine on a single LNB connection only you won't be able to watch another channel while recording. That said, by using a simple splitter you will have a 1 in 4 chance of being able to do this depending on whether the two channels are using the same polarity. It's got to be worth a go and I guess it is better than nothing.