1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky reception problem

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by cdave, Dec 21, 2002.

1. cdave

cdave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can anyone advise if they are having reception problems for the music channels above 450, Kiss, Magic, Kerang etc. Just recenlty I am experiencing pixelling and break up on sound on these channels only. They can also take a while to appear from the blue screen. I rang sky and they said it may be the LNB because all these channels on the same transponder. I have checked the scarts and am using a Thor. It did the same on a cheapo one as well. I have just purchased a new TV but cannot really see how that could affect things. I have checked all the leads as well and done a forced download just in case I was behind on software. Any advice appreciated.

The box is the latest Panasonic which is shown in the Sky guide at times. (Cannot just put my hands on the model number)

Dave

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Yes those channels are on the same transponder on the Eurobird satellite which is slightly offset compared to the Astra birds that carry the bulk of the SKY D channels.
    Any weakness in the dish alignment or LNB positioning / performance is more likely to show up on those channels because when a dish is aligned it's setup to aim at an Astra transponder.

If the fault is fairly recent it may be a very slight movement of the LNB or dish has occured which is preventing the digibox from getting a signal from the Eurobird channels.

3. cdave

cdave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Starburst,

Thanks for that information. At least there a logical reason why only some of the channels are affected. After I wrote last nights message, other channels started to get affected but it was throwing it down outside. I have been out this morning checking the connection (bungalow) and re-taped just in case moisture present. Was still the same. However, I have now managed to get a better picutre for some reason after moving the box. Also seems OK on PAL rather than RGB. Seems 95% good just now on RGB but prefer 100% because you are always waiting for the fault. Could it be the TV is affecting it in some way becuase it is now the first item under it on the stand. The problem started when I installed the TV. I may have to move everything but there are a lot of cables for amp, DVD, speakers video etc. and the set up looks best as it is now.

Any more help or ideas still appreciated :(

Thanks again

Dave

4. staffspeted

staffspeted

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have exactly the same problem on a panny digibow set to RGB with a Thor scart. However on a cheaper scart they do not pixellate. It must be something to do with the scart because when I change the TV input to a non RGB scart the problem stops!
    Help!?

5. cdave

cdave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have also tried the cheap scart but have the same problem. However since my last post I can now say it is 99% certain the problem is not dish related beacuse I have taken the set to a friends who has a perfect picture using Thor on RGB but on a Grundig. On trying mine, it breaks up into the blocks and distorted sound again. For the moment I will just have to settle for the PAL setting I suppose. Still a very good picture but not quite as precise as RGB. I wonder if there is something wrong with our boxes or all they all the same. The model is the TU-DSB31. Maybe need a new thread on the issue alone?

6. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The radiation limits on TV sets are lax compared with those on other equipment. In addition, many TV sets shove video back OUT of the Scart lead on pin 19 (cut this wire at the TV end).

Bottom line: you will probably never determine exactly what interference is causing the problem or how. So just follow the basic rules:

* Cut the Scart wire as above.
    * Keep TV as far away from other equipment as possible.*
    * Use only fully-shielded cables (use double-shielded satellite coax for ALL RF connections, including the run down from the TV aerial).
    * If you interrupt the coax cable at any point (eg. a wall plate) use only a fully shielded connection (no wires exposed or screw connections).

Follow these rules and you'll minimise problems.

* Keeping equipment apart will also minimise localised overheating. If you won't do this for aesthetic reasons then you can expect to suffer interference and poor reliability. You could try putting a metal plate between the TV and other equipment (ground it) and fitting one or more fans to get rid of warm air.

Fman

7. staffspeted

staffspeted

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I too have a TU-DSB-31 Panasonic so maybe our answer lies there.
    Anyone with any other info?

8. theadviser

theadviser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I am having exactly same problem with my Panasonic digibox TU-DSB31 . Am taking my SCART to bits as we speak (I type) not easy!!! Can anyone tell me which is pin 19!!!!

9. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Pin 19 is the one next to pin 18 :D

You can look here for a diagram.

Mark

10. theadviser

theadviser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Cheers Mark. No need for sarcasm! Actually it is diagonally opposite!!
    I am a bit confused though. I have both plastic covers off the SCART. I have cut the wire that leads to pin 19 (Copper coloured in a transparent sleeve) at one end of the lead. When I look at the other end, the same coloured lead is at pin 20. Is this right and is this therefore the reason why 'at the TV end' is stated.

Just tried the SCART, still same probs. Can someone confirm that if the picture breakup is only happening on certain channels in RGB mode, that it cannot be; LNB, dish alignment, faulty cable/connections. I was on the verge of arranging for SKY engineer to come put. £65, guaranteed to sort out the problem. Or is it? Surely, someone out there knows why this is happening in RGB mode only.

11. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    your right about the pins. pin 19 is "video-out", as you know. well, it has to go somewhere, in this case, its pin 20 on the other end of the scart, which is conveniantly named "video-in". So, yes, thats why "at the T.V" end is stated - because it stops the T.V forcing video back up the scart into the digibox.

12. Luke Emmott

Luke Emmott
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This digi box does appear to have a problem with RGB on some sets. I have seen cases where the box has worked fine on RGB setting and suddenly started to cause problems for no reason. I even had a customer who had a 28" Sanyo set and the problem started to occur so he treated it as a good excuse to go out and buy a brand new Tosh 32". The problem was still there. His Sanyo was checked out and no problem found. But there was no offer of an explanation as to why this box has this problem and in the end the customer got a replacement box from Sky.
    I advise engineers to swap to PAL if they come across this on a call out as if the box is sent away for repair... it never gets repaired.

Luke

13. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is your Scart lead the fully-shielded type and *short*?
    Each wire should be shielded individually with copper braid.

If not, then it may be worth trying one that is. Alternatively, try a very short Scart lead (say 0.5 metres / 18").

Also, as I mentioned earlier, make sure that ALL nearby coaxial leads are double-shielded and that there's no wall plate being used for the LNB connection (or if there is, that it's shielded - no bare wires showing inside).

Clutching at straws here, trying to eliminate all possibilities.

But it may simply be that your TV set is, for example, a 100 Hertz model with "digital enhancement". This type of TV set seems to screw up Sky Digital pictures, although the latest TV models are a bit better.

I'm a great believer in "try before you buy". Next time you buy a new TV set, get the shop to demonstrate it with a Sky Digibox (preferably your own). This is a total pain to do but it shows up the good dealers from the bad!

Fman

14. theadviser

theadviser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Scart I'm using is longer than 0.5m and each wire covered with a plastic sleeve. Based on what Luke was saying, is it really worth splashing out on new fully shielded leads when the problem may be TV/Digibox. By the way, TV set is JVC 50 hertz (2mths old). Think I will set digibox to RGB, if I want to watch a channel where I know that picture breaks up, Men & Motors, Music channels etc, switch to PAL to watch them. Not ideal, but it will suffice!!

15. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Obviously each wire is insulated but each wire should have copper braid on top of the plastic insulation.

Not sure of your definition of "splashing out" but you should be able to get a decent Scart lead for a tenner. I wouldn't worry about "gold plating" or "oxygen free copper". Gold plating is great for jewellery and "oxygen free" is bu****it since your TV room is (hopefully) full of oxygen!

BTW I saw a very amusing
    web page about this. :)

Fman

16. theadviser

theadviser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks Fman. Being a Northern lad, £3 is splashing out, where I come from you can buy a nice terraced house for a tenner!!!!!
    Like the link, made me chuckle. May go with your suggestion of better scart at some point, but have decided to leave ftb. Will put up with RGB/PAL swapping until someone posts a thread with some more suggestions.

17. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aah, rait. Bein' a northern lad meself, ah noah the problem. Coarse we liv'd in t' cardboard box in t' middle o' t' roahd. We 'ad bread an' drippin fer breakfust, dinner and tea an' a candle fer suppa.

An afore thee starts, me cuzin lived in t' braown paper bag on t' yon side o' t' strait. T' family were soah poor that thay et slugs from t' gutter.

An I 'ad ter laff at me Mam 'cos when she were upset she'd say: "Well, ah'll go ter the fut of ower stairs." Which were funny on account of we 'ad no stairs.

:rolleyes: