Sky recalling Pace HD boxes

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by smjxm09, Feb 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smjxm09

smjxm09

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Had a phone call from Sky, they told me that they are recalling 7000 Pace boxes and want to do a box swap. An appointment has been made and 3 months free HD subscription has been given. I bought my Pace HD box from Tesco as a second box without subscription.

2. jezzer256

jezzer256

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    I wonder what they'll replace it with?

Jez

3. smjxm09

smjxm09

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    That's a good question. My box is less than 3 months old and I don't want a reverb Thomson box. The guy did not know why the boxes were being recalled. Maybe they can't fix the lip sinc problem?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  4. ahaydock

ahaydock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    Dont have much luck do they!

Wonder what I'll get on Friday?

5. Stuteman

Stuteman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Had same call and they are coming on Monday to replace it.:confused:

6. Smurkenstein

Smurkenstein

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28

Cripes - you dont think they burst into flames do you? It must be serious - look at the thousands of stories you hear about Thomson boxes (mine included) whcih fail due to faulty power supplies and as far as I know, they never recalled one box.

Not like sky to be concerned about faulty equipment :rolleyes:

7. michael37

michael37
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If it was a serious safety issue they would be warning folks to unplug the boxes, and I would have expected there to be something in the press by now.

Could it be a problem with the channel encryption system? Possibly a vulnerability that could lead to the viewing cards being compromised. I'd think Sky would be pretty keen to put a stop to something like that ASAP.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  8. kenedin

kenedin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +312
    A product recall usually involves a health or safety issue. Or else these boxes have a locally unrepairable internal fault. Who knows??

9. Martin J.

Martin J.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
  10. kenedin

kenedin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +312
    Ho ho. I smell a rat!:D

"Unfortunately, Sky are not able to say whether the replacement box will be a Thomson, Samsung, Amstrad or another Pace, or whether it will be a refurbished item. ":eek::eek:

11. sizedoesmatter

sizedoesmatter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    So if this is true they are recalling 7000 Pace boxes & they're also putting a fix on the website for the amstrad boxes.

:eek:

Wow, glad I've got that unreliable old thomson !;)

12. Martin J.

Martin J.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    I just got the call. I asked the woman the same thing, what sort of box would I be getting as a replacement as I didn't want another Thomson (one is enough). She chuckled and said she couldn't tell me. I might stick with the Pace.

Anyone who has had the call know what their box revision is? My SO is watching BBC HD right now so I can't check.

13. smjxm09

smjxm09

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Mine is 9F3002.

I better start watching all those saved programmes

If Sky are recalling 7000 boxes then they have a very good reason

14. 6022tivo

6022tivo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I have just read on the toad that it is OPTIONAL????

So you can tell SKY to bog off, although we do not know the issue with the boxes???

Maybe they can not handle the new EPG that may be coming.. But they don't want to admit to a new EPG yet.

15. Stuteman

Stuteman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    9F3002 also:thumbsdow

16. Martin J.

Martin J.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Kicked the girlfriend off the polar bears (there are more important things than saving the planet) and mine is a 9F3003 (1.614).

Thanks to the forum, I had read that article a few moments prior to getting the call. The woman didn't argue when I asked if it was optional, she said that was fine. Given the liklihood of getting a lemon, I therefore decided to hang onto my working Pace. I should've asked for the three free months though.

17. 6022tivo

6022tivo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I do find all the optional part a little odd???

How can a recall be optional???

It is was a safety thing then they would have to inform you what was at risk before you could take the risk of ignoring the recall.
    If it was technical they would have to tell you so you know what is wrong, when it goes wrong?

Maybe it is security... They would want to get as many replaced as they can before the cat is out of the bag??? Maybe the firmware is easy to read write so the + can be switched on easily like other standard + boxes??

Who knows?? (Well sky do)..

18. Martin J.

Martin J.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Makes me wonder if this is related to some of the new features that are supposed to be coming our way. VOD for example. If the boxes had defective network cards it would stop the VOD working, but wouldn't prompt me to replace one because I probably wouldn't want the feature anyway.

19. doobds

doobds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    could it be lip sync or software related and they just can't solve the problem (they haven't been able to solve lip sync for many months!) so think it would be better to swap the boxes? however, although my pace box does have lip sync issues on and off and i have moaned to sky to get random credits, other than that i am happy with it and trust pace more than other boxes - who is to say what make/model we will get as a replacement or if it will be any better - i wish to stay clear of thomson and i have not even ever had one!

20. michael37

michael37
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Someone over on DS suggested they might have Seagate 7200.11's which have been failing in a very big way (in PC's) - nobody has checked so this is just speculation.

Might explain why Sky are happy to recall for an apparently non-saftey related issue - Seagate footing the bill perhaps?

Certainly my Pace has had no Lip-Sync Issues. But then I ahve not been called yet, so it could be my box is not part of the recall.

21. contraste

contraste

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    I have a 9F3003 that I bought from Tesco as replacement for my terminally ill original Thomson box. I fitted a larger HDD as soon as I got it so Sky will have to give me a very good reason for swapping it out and a guarantee that that I'll get a new Pace replacement.

22. J666RST

J666RST

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Same here!
    You would think sky would tell you that the box may not be compatible with future features they have planned, if you refuse a swap?
    My box is one for a recall and sky fixed the synch problem that I had!

If it is hard drive related i'd rather keep my Pace and replace th HD when needed...

23. Martin J.

Martin J.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    You'd think so, but if they're not willing to tell people why the boxes have to be swapped, then they probably can't say what it'll impact.
    Was there a long lead in time or are they coming to do it fairly soon?

24. J666RST

J666RST

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Havnt had the call yet, if I do, unless they tell me what the problem is I think i'll keep it.

25. Miss Chief

Miss Chief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    First off, while the replacement is not mandatory it's yet to be established what will happen in the future with regard to customers who decide not to take up the offer of a replacement box. i guess they'll cross that bridge when the first boxes start going out of warranty in August this year. I can't imagine Sky being overly generous with this though. You've been offered a replacement, with extra guarante and a form of compensation on top. If you don't take this offer then your box has a failure in 18 months time I can't see Sky offering a replacement under the same terms.

Secondly the replacement will be a 'Grade A' box which carries a full year guarantee, although the make of box hasn't been verified yet. Given that Thomson boxes have been out the longest it's likely you will get one, but no guarantees. You will also be given 3 months HD subs for free. This goes against the actual subscription so isn't a direct credit to your account.

Thirdly, we've been advised that it IS a hardware fault of some sort, but beyond that we haven't been told. It's nothing to do with lip sync though. Again the seagate drive one might be something to do with it but the Seagate problem is mainly to do with the 500GB and 1.5TB Drives. The HD box has a 320Gb HDD. The calling customers project is over the next 12 weeks, you may not get a call any time soon!

26. Martin J.

Martin J.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Many thanks Skytech, we appreciate your input here.

27. contraste

contraste

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    I second that!

It's a real shame that Sky just don't seem to be able to handle technical problems that impact their customers with any sort of common sense.

Can you imagine any other company ringing a customer out of the blue, saying they want to swap some equipment the customer has bought but can't or won't say why?

Sky should give clear and concise reasons (on their website perhaps) why they want to swap the Pace boxes so that their subscribers, who have spent their own money purchasing the equipment, can make an informed decision about accepting or refusing the offer.

28. Chadford

Chadford
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    Perhaps one possible approach if Sky phones to ask if they can swap the box, is just to ask them to phone back in a week or so when you are back from your holiday.:blush:

Hopefully by then...
    1) The truth about the problem has been revealed.
    2) You will know what the replacement HD boxes will be.
    3) You'll have had a chance to watch/copy most of the stuff on your planner.

...just a thought.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  29. Naaktgeboren

Naaktgeboren
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,540
    It is kinda strange, can you imagine buying a new car and getting a phone call later saying the car has a fault and they would 'like' you to take it back for an exchange, THEN understanding why you would not want to do so :confused:

It will not be long now until someone with the know how open's up one of these boxes and discovers what the problem is so I do not understand Sky's stance. Trying to get a customers agreement without providing them with the full facts is not very clever.

I have a suspicion that the problem is security related.

30. michael37

michael37
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I checked in my Tesco where I bought mine, and they are still selling theirs.

Surely the first thing you would do in a recall is take them off of retailer's shelves.

There's something a bit fishy about all of this. Either that or the ones in my Tesco are OK.

I have had 2 Grade 'A' Thompsons which both had the same fault as my new original (tuns off unexpectedly causing recordings to fail), with 3/3 failing to last more than 9 months under no circumstances will I accept another.

In fact if 4/4 boxes prove to be defective I will have no choice but to assume that Sky are incapable of providing me with a service which is of satisfactory quality. If I do get a call they can give me a new Samsung or Amstrad or I'll be cancelling. (Sorry for the rant!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.