Sky - Rain ?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Biggles, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Biggles

Biggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone help?

Last night we had "some" rain and while I expected the signal and picture to be distorted during "heavy" rain we had problems even during "light" stuff.

Is this normal? Does this mean that every time a light shower goes past I'm going to lose sky?

Is there stuff I can do? ( other than hold an umbrella over the dish)

2. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It probably has a lot to do with your signal. In my area, the signal is pretty strong, and I only lose picture during sustained downpours.

The weird thing is, it seemed worse first when I got my dish, as I would get picture breakup any time it rained. But now, nearly a year later, I don't get so much as a flicker unless it's really pouring.

I also notice that some channels are more affected than others.

3. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Rain stops TV - I though Sky was supposed to be weather proof

4. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not really. Rain, wind, humidity (i.e. atmospheric conditions!) can stop anything travelling through the air, like wot the the satellite signal does. It's a fact of science not marketing.

5. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Holding an umbrella over the dish will result in loss of signal and possible fall from slippy wet ladder.

Light showers not usually a problem but severe weather warning type heavy rainfall can stop your signal.

6. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    and getting struck by lightning! :D

7. Biggles

Biggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My dilemma is that I’ve only had Sky a short while and I don’t know if I should call an engineer to check it out?

I expected problems from heavy rain “moving “ the dish, and I understand the problem that rain can cause to signal strength but the signal has travelled hundreds of miles through air and cloud that has “density” so what’s the problem with a little rain?

Is the sky signal's so weak that even a piece of paper is going to stop it?

If so, most of my winter is going to be spend sky free!

I know rain comes from the sky but this is stupid.

8. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Well I had no DTTV reception problems in the rain at all!

9. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I did.Some channels used to be completely unwatchable,that's why I've got NTL digital cable now,because of the weather effecting SKY and DTT so much.Now I've got NTL digital there's not a single picture blip in any rain.Only in the recent local lightning strikes do I lose the picture for a second or two.

10. gbmitie

gbmitie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    U should not lose signal in light rain and when u do it means dish is badly aligned and signal is very weak.

Check your signal strength and signal quality. If you can remember what it looked like when 1st installed then you may spot a difference. If there is then dish was either badly aligned in the 1st place and has moved. U did not say where u are based so difficult to say if u are using the wrong dish size.

Check your cable, could be lose, has it got unneccessary kinks Have u done a software upgrade. All these affect signal.

The SKY signal is far stronger than was originally planned and u should only lose signal in an almoghty downpour ie a monsoon which can happen.

Its all very well using a tiny dish for aesthetic reasons but when u are inside watching the TV it is not very aesthetic having a cr*p picture or no picture. Check dishes around u and if all the above fails get a bigger dish.

hope this helps

gbmitie.

11. MattB

MattB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My Grundig $kybox totally crapped out during Tuesday night's heavy rain and thunder. Sound was OK but the picture completely disintegrated into large, random coloured pixels! The odd thing was that the picture was still corrupted yesterday until switching the box off-on.

I have had $ky for just over a year and this is the first time there has been a total loss and maybe the third time weather has affected it so not a big problem so far.

12. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't forget that the signal doesn't go straight up vertically, It is at an angle. So although the rain was light where you were, the signal probably had to travel through heavier rain upto 50 miles away.