1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky questions

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by paiger, Jan 27, 2002.

1. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm strongly considering changing to Sky from ITVD, mainly due to F1TV. A few questions to those in the know.

I am aware I can choose the make of STB if I go to a local installer. I would like a silver one, preferably Sony to match my kit. Are any available?

Which STB is considered to be best in terms of reception quality, reliability etc?

I understand the Sony has a digital out. Is this enabled and can it be used? I ask because my amp has Auto Format Decode to use the right type of processing. As I will be using the music channels a lot this will be usefull. Analogue inputs do not work with this feature.

At the end of my subscription, does the box and dish belong to me? If so, what can I do with it if I don't want to continue with the subscription. Are there FTA channels you can watch without a subscription as with ITVD?

Finally, I feel bad about quitting ITVD as I am a fan of the technology, will I always feel this way or will I laugh as they burn once I can finally get VH1?

All help appreciated

Thanks

Steve

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    If you got to SKY they will give you the digibox they have in stock but as you say an independent has more flexibility, when you place an order with them make sure you state the make of digibox you require. All makes are currently avaliable under the installation offers so don't go away without the one you want.

All digiboxes are based on the same reference design and to be honest apart from the odd feature they all perform at the same level.

The SONY does have an optical out which is enabled, however it does not support DD 5.1

The box and dish are free, you can sell them the day you get them but you will still have to honour the 12 month minimum subscription contract. The box will pick up FTA channels and FTV(with a free BBC card) without a subscription so it will have a very useful life even if you ditch the sub.

DTT should have been good, but transmission power and coverage aren't upto the job and poor compression has resulted in a service which can not compete with SKY D.
    You will not be disappointed even if you lose the sport and movies the £16 Family pack is excellent.
    If you still pine for DTT then in a couple of months PACE are releasing a DTT reciever for FTA channels.

3. hitz

hitz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have cable digital - and have also been thinking about moving to sky digital.

The picture i get on my cable digital - is very good - and am just wondering what the picture would be like if i move to sky (since its not a physical connection).

also - what set top box would you advise - i also have sony equipment - so am keen on the sony set top box - but whats the optical out for - if it deoesnt support 5.1 ?

is there any STB that support 5.1 apart from SKY+ box.

Also - the current cables i have connected (from outside to my STB) - can these be re-used or do i need brand new cable laid for sky digital. I also want sky digital in another room - but i have been quoted £200 for STB + £50 for install +£12 per month subscription (this price is direct from sky).
    i think its a huge amount to pay - just so that you can watch sky in another room.

4. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Install is currently £1 on Sky's website with the usual free dish and box . You need to take the full package @£37 pm - but you can change down the package after one month (which I will do)

Good value (and I didn't think I would ever say that about Sky)

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Re Hitz...

SKY digital if setup correctly is excellent, allowing for the compression each individual channels chooses to use of course.
    If you are happy with NTL/TW D then ask yourself what has SKY D got that you want, my NTL D isn't a patch on my SKY D setup.

The SONY optical will output a standard stereo/pro logic soundtrack where applicable to a optical input enabled amplifier.
    Only SKY+ as you know supports SKY's DD5.1 movies all the other digiboxes (apart from SONY) don't have an optical output.

The NTL/TW cable has nothing to do with SKY D, the dish will be fitted to the outside wall and a cable run from it to the digibox, the digibox will also require a phone line connection.

The second digibox bought from SKY is excellent value for money, the problem is no one has ever had to buy a digital STB so the real cost has never experienced. The total price of £265 also includes a new LNB all the cable and installation, I personally think is better option than buying a second hand digibox and fitting it yourself.
    Also with SKY, YOU own the hardware it's not rented/leased/lent to the subscriber for the length of their subscription unlike the NTL/TW/ITV digital boxes.

Again, ask yourself why you think SKY D would be better than make the decision:)

6. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, thanks for all the help guys. I have been doing a bit of sniffing around today and have decided I want the Sony 760 with the family pack. Some more questions I'm afraid.

The place I want the dish is a bit tricky to get too and I can foresee problems convincing the (moron) installer that it has to go there. I have already installed a new downlead which is FT125 Sat cable to my TV (improves DTT) and the box end is a matter of reading the book. As I am pretty handy with DIY, how practical is it for me to whack the dish up there myself? I understand alignment may be a problem but I could pay an installer a few quid to tune it all once installed.

How much would I be charged for the box and dish of my choice if I did self install? I gather the £70 for family pack is an install charge. Would this be waived?

Sorry to ask all these questions, I'll be ringing around a bit tomorrow but I reckon there are a few more sensible people on this forum than in most shops.

Cheers

S

7. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As already stated to be able to get the Sony digibox (I have one, it's great) you have to go an independant dealer, so choose one who is part of the CAI (bit like Corgi for aerial installers) and you should be able to get a quality job. If it's a complicated install he may want to charge you more (not sure about that) but perhaps it's worth it?
    I can tell you from personal experience, the hassle factor of getting a poor quality installation would be worth many £££s getting it done correctly in the first place.

Personally, I don't think trying to do the installation yourself is worth the hassle, and you do need an oscilloscope/signal strength meter to do it properly. Pay the money, it's a fairly small cost after all!!

Simon.

After much back to back listening, I've decided that there is a small but worthwhile improvement in sound quality using the digital output on the Sony versus analogue, so I think getting the Sony is very worthwhile over the other digiboxes.

8. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, thanks Simon. I'll ring around and see if I can find someone with a bit of savvy.

The main reason I want the digi out is because I will be listening to the music channels and with a digital input, my amp should be able to switch between 2 channel and pro-logic as required. That's the plan anyway.

S