1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky + Questions

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by southpaw, Feb 7, 2004.

1. southpaw

southpaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    HI

I'D LIKE SKY + BUT AT THE MOMENT IT SEEMS A BIT STEEP IN PRICE ESPECIALLY FOR SKY SUBSCRIBERS.

ANYWAY I WAS THINKING OF BUYING A 2ND HAND SKY + BOX.

MY QUESTIONS ARE:

1) IS THIS A GOOD IDEA?
    2) WOULD I NEED A NEW DISH TOO?
    3) WOULD I NEED AN ENGINEER TO SET IT UP?
    4) IS IT BETTER TO HAVE SKY + AND DVD RECORDER RATHER THAN HAVING NORMAL SKY AND A HDD DVD RECORDER?

I'VE JUST SEEN THE £99 DEAL HAS FINISHED SO I'D VERY MUCH APPRECIATE YOUR IDEAS

THANKS IN ADVANCE

2. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    1. Providing you know it works and have seen it record, yes (or if you are buying from somewhere where you can return it if needed).

2. Nope, existing dish is fine, but you will need a new LNB, at least a Dual (preferably a Quad so you can connect another Sky+ unit or 2 ordinary Sky boxes in the future).

3. You can do it by yourself although you may save a lot of hassle by using an installer. Find a good one at www.apsiuk.com

4. Yes because with Sky+ you can: Watch one sat channel and record another or record two sat channels and play back one recorded previously.

Hope this helps :)

p.s. HOPE YOU GET YOUR CAPS LOCK KEY FIXED!! ;) :p

3. southpaw

southpaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks

CAPS - Sorry I didn't relise as I typed it:blush:

4. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I realise it's not an insubstantial sum (£200 on line or as a 'friend') but what saving would be made with all the DIY? The price of a box, then the cableing (possibly no new LNB required) & paying some one to fit it isn't worth it for the saving. Getting from Sky I don't believe will be much dearer - if at all, would include everything (Inc new LNB) & more importantly 12 months cover if it goes wrong (seperately available for a further £65) I like + & think it's great, but it does seem a bit 'glitchy'. Being able to call out Sky (who can exchange the box if required) is money well spent, unless you want to DIY or mustn't spend any more than absolutely necessary & are prepared to take the gamble it'll be all ok. I'm on my 2nd box, the to the door exchange making it all worthwhile for me. I don't think I'm on my own reading these forums.