1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ Question

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by sijones, May 8, 2003.

1. sijones

sijones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I am just about to get Sky+ and have a question. If the box is already recording a programme can I decide to start watching the programme from the start while it continues to record the remainder?

Many thanks,

Steve

2. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,810
    yes.

3. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well as thats been answered and this is a Sky+ questions thread I'll hijack this one instead of spamming with a new thread :D

Questions:

When you put the Sky+ box into standby does it power down the hard drive too? If it's too noisy I would like to be able to stop the noise overnight.

Also, does it automatically turn on to record things if it's in standby or does it need to be left on?

Cheers :)

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

The hard drive is designed to run 24/7, this allows you to record programs anytime of the day or night and reduces wear and tear on the HD unit.
    Only the very early SKY+ units had noisy HD's, this has since been solved by using Fluid Bearing drives, you really should have no problems unless the unit is a foot from your head and you are a VERY light sleeper.
    SKY+ records progams entered into the planner manually or by series link when in standby, there is no need to leave it turned on although there is no significant power saving in putting it into standby.

5. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hard drives make noise, even fluid bearing ones. And as I live in a studio flat I don't want a hard drive whining at me all night. If I wanted that I would leave my PC on :)

So does the HD keep spinning even if the unit is in standby mode? So the only way to stop it would be to power off the unit completly?

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

When I said "noisy" hard drives I meant above and beyond what is suitable for a piece of consumer electronics, the fluid bearing drives solved that problem.
    Seriously, it's not an issue unless you are really hyper sensitive to noise.

Yes the hard drive is spinning when the SKY+ is in standby.
    Not only will the hard drive start recording when the EPG tells it to without any delay but you prevent the strain of the unit repeatedly spinning upto speed.
    You could of course turn the SKY+ off every night but that means no recording overnight and forcing the unit to reboot everyday along with reloading listings and repeated power cycling which will put a lot of strain on the hardware.

7. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers :)