Sky+ Question

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by bobbles, Jan 13, 2003.

1. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got sky+, very impressed

My question concerns the copying function

I can not test this yet as I am not getting my DVDR until next Sat

Is it possible to set it up sky+ in the following way

Sky+ RGB TV Scart -> DVDR RGB IN -> DVDR RGB OUT -> TV RGB IN AV1

wouldn't this copy in rgb?

or does copying have to go through the composite VCR scart on the sky+?

does the copying function do anything other than playing back selected programmes from your planner in a particular order, does it automatically put in titles, prog info etc?

If it does do anything extra, does it only do these through the VCR scart on the sky+

Thanks for any help you can give

2. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +532
    Bob sorry this is nothing to do with your problem

But I am still trying to decide whether to go for sky plus or not. I really love to have it but price is kinda putting me off. as it would take my monthly payment to £41 as i watch alot of sport so i am on Sport world which is now £31.

I have watch Sky + advert on 998 on sky many time the more i watch the more I am tempted to have it LOL.

What make you really like it?

3. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i think the answer is yes, I tried to delete but it will not let me

anyway it might be of use to someone

I think it is possibly the only set up that allows watching both a DVDR and sky+ in RGB

and record from sky+ in RGB

:rolleyes:

4. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +916
    When you're copying something you get a signal on all 3 outputs of the Sky+ box - main (potentially RGB) scart, S-Video and VCR scart. The only difference between that and simply playing back a program is that during normal playback the VCR scart is switched off.

5. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well to get the loyalty offer you have to get the movies as well for 12 months which takes it up to £47

If you want a second box £5, rather than the usual £15. As you own the normal box you might as well

Sky+ is fantastic

It records perfect quality 20hrs+ can be kept on the hard drive

It works via the normal planner on sky except you can select to record. This is done on a separate feed, so whilst recording you can watch anything else on sky

It also has a series link so it will record onto the hard drive all episodes of say the west wing which can then be put onto dvd

You start what you recorded whilst its recording, ie no more ads start watching West Wing 20min after it has started, skip the ads and you will end at the same time saving you 30 min of your life

no red dot!!!!

you can pause live tv and rewind whatever channel sky has been on for upto 1hr

The recordings work via the banner so if a something is delayed, it doesn't matter

Watch movies in DD5.1, I would imagine this will extend to other stations with time

probably lots more but I am meant to be working :blush:

check out the other threads here it convinced me

6. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    It sure is the best thing I've seen for ages - it will truly change the way you use your Sky package.

The live pause is excellent. You say you like sport and there's nothing worse than a phone call or a knock at the door at that crucial moment. No problem just press pause and you can resume where you left off and even fast forward to catch up with the live broadcast.

As bobbles said no more ads and they are a pain on some Sky channels just fast forward over them with a super clear picture whislt doing so.

Also, if you have it hooked up to another room you don;t need a VCR in that room either.

Really, I can't recommend it enough. Go for it.

Cheers, Lee

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,599
    Yes this works very well - this is how I have my Sky+ unit and HS2 setup. Recordings look fantasic (well as good as they can given the source material).

8. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you have sky+ and a HS2 :eek:

One hard drive not enough for you then

surely you could have got a cheaper DVDR then put a bigger hard drive in the sky+

well if you got it spend it i suppose

9. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +532
    sorry what is a HS2

10. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Panny HS2 DVDR

It uses the -R/-RAM format. It comes with a built in hard drive 80GB I think, retails at over £800

I considered it briefly as an alternative to sky+ and a Phillips 880 DVDR but although it had some of the benifits of sky+ timeslip etc not enough to justify it

11. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +532
    Oh I see,

Well i surpose you can pause live tv on it can you? also do you get the easy record planner and the same benfit with recording like series recording etc like sky plus?

12. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,599
    No - I work away from home alot so need the extra storage space to records things on. I expanded Sky+ to 120GB but that still wasn't enough. The extra 40GB of the HS2 and the additional 4.7GB of each RAM disk just about gives me sufficient storage space.

13. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    blimey do you work on an oil rig :eek:

160Gb is about what 80hrs

how easy was the 120Gb upgrade on sky+

did you do this once the warantee was out?

It is something I am considering eventually

14. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    doesn't the HS2 support those 12GB RAM disks?

what do you mean each RAM disk, do you mean it holds more than 1 disk or you back up onto disk to free up space

15. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,599
    Easy - just swapped over the drives. I did this after having the unit for about 7 months so it was 'on it's way out' of warranty. I've had no problems although the percentage free figure on the Sky+ viewer is no longer accurate (the bar is though). If you have any problems you can always put the old HDD back in.

I mean I record long programmes (i.e. over an hour) on Sky+ or the HS2 HDD and hour long programmes on one of my RAM disks (which is effectively like a removable HDD).

I'm not sure - I have 4.7GB and 9.4GB (which is effectively two 4.7GB disks back to back).

16. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will see how I get on with the sky+ / DVDR combo before deciding on an upgrade HD

In theory it should be fine

17. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I was thinking of getting Sky+ together with a Panasonic E30. But then I thought, if I have Sky+ for OTA recording, and mainly want to use the DVD recorder for backup from Sky+, would I be better off getting a DVD burner for my HTPC? Presumably I could record sound in DD5.1 on a PC.

Has anyone else looked at this option? Am I missing something?

18. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,599
    Depends on what your current setup is. The most problematic area doing this is conversion of an anologue signal to a digital file. Now if you've already got the kit necessary to do this then certainly getting a sole PC DVD Burner is a good option. You can acquire editting software online - how much you pay depends upon your needs.

If you don't yet have the equipment to convert the Sky+ output into digital may I suggest you look as this site:
    http://www6.tomshardware.com/video/index.html

Personally I tried the 'direct to PC route' and wasn't that impressed with the results (although I admit I was on a somewhat tighter budget back then). I now record and edit on the E30 and author on my PC DVD-RAM/-R burner.

19. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,599