1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SKY+ Query

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Dumfy, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Dumfy

Dumfy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Everyone,
    Due to job change and relocation, I thought I'd upgrade to Sky+ when I move in to my new house in a couple of weeks.

I currently subscribe to standard Sky Family Package and have done for several years. The current owners of the the house are already using Sky+, but will be taking their digi-box with them. However, the dish/cables etc are to stay.

I'm thinking of buying a second hand Sky+ box off Ebay or elsewhere and would use this at the new house - with the intention of installing a bigger hard drive at the same time.

As there will be no install work for Sky to do, can I do this myself and then phone up Sky, tell them I've moved, bought a second hand Sky+ box and update my details accordingly? Has anyone gone this route before?

How much would you expect to pay for second hand box? I think the 40GB ones are £199 new and installed by Sky (though there is an offer on I believe that reduces this with installation - which I won't need)?

Any particular box better than others and more suitable for bigger hard drive upgrading?

Are there different versions to watch out for....like V1 or V2 and what are the advantages/disadvantages of each?

Many thanks for the help guys and gals!

Best Regards

Dumfy

2. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I believe the Pace models are easiest to update. The Amstrad ones you can now update, but you can only put something like an 80GB drive in I think.

Check http://www.tempodigitalmedia.com for kits on upgrades.
    I think the Pace 3100 is the one to go for, but you can email them and ask
    which is the best.

Hopefully sky won't charge you a fee for connection, but you never know
    with them. Also check other threads on upgrading Sky+ yourself.

Good luck,

Timbo

3. bigfatsi

bigfatsi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you click on the link/ads on this site, Sky+ is only £99 as a new user. You would qualify for this if you're setting up a new account/home wouldn't you?
    New ones are from £159 from Simply Digital (if you don't need the LNB) and arrive in no time. As long as you subscribe to more than 2 premium channels, sky won't charge you for the recording facility although if you are using your existing card you'll need to ring them so they can turn the facility on.

4. Dumfy

Dumfy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hmmm,

Things are not quite as I thought they were. I didn't realise that you had to subscribe to 2 or more Premium Channels to get Sky+.

What's the monthly cost if you don't want the Premium Channels like me? Bit of a rip off isn't it, charging for the recording facility, when you have to buy the equipment/install in the first place.

What else am I missing?

Thanks for the help guys..

5. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    The cost is £10 a month for the recording facility if you don't have 2 premium channels - i think there's something like 50p difference in cost between the cheapest package with 2 premium channels (which was 1J when I subscribed, which gets you family pack plus Sky Movies 2 and Sky Sports 1), and family pack with the Sky+ sub.