1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ Quad LNB damaged in storm. Where can I get one cheap?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Jules, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +752
    Had very heavy thunderstorms yesterday and both our Sky boxes are receiving no signal. Both boxes have been rebooted to no avail, and I'm sure the LNB has taken a hit.

I've called sky and they said 65 pounds for an engineer call out, but I don't know if that includes replacing the LNB. However, looking on line for a quad LNB I've found some places selling them for 59 pounds + delivery.

Can anyone suggest any very cheap suppliers of a new quad LNB, or should I just get Sky out to fix it? Money is tight this month!!

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Lots of places selling them on Ebay

3. gsxr750steve

gsxr750steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or.... you could call Sky, tell them it's broken and say that you might as well cancel as you don't use it much anyway (assuming you've had it for over a year so you are free of contract).

They will likely come and fix it for free. It's exactly what just happened to my friend excpet that instead of the storm damaging his LNB it was his son kicking a football at it.......(and yes, he told them how it got broken).

Free repair so you stay with them - give it a go!

4. xmb

xmb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
  5. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £20 on ebay... but are you sure it's not just a dish out of alignment?

6. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +752
    Thanks for the replies.

I climbed up on the roof last night and the dish is as solid as rock.... it couldn't possibly have moved. However, it's right at the top of the roof, and getting enough pressure on the LNB to remove it proved quite hair raising... I had visions of doing a Rod Hull!
    If it had been mounted just a tad lower I'd have tackled it, but I had 1 bum cheek on each side of the roof with about a 20ft drop on the side I was stretch over.

So, I've paid for an engineer to come out after all. I figured a saving of £30 or so isn't worth the risk.

7. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    telly at the moment isn't worth dying over... maybe it is on sunday for the last 2 24s of the series tho!