Sky Q

johnbower

The apps on Sky Q what do you miss out on if you use them?

Also if there are functions you can’t get on Sky Q what are the other options in terms of full functionality? My TV is yet to get the Disney app so other options.

Looking to use Disney+ and want the full Dolby Vision etc not sure what I may be missing if I use Sky Q only.

Likewise Netflix and Amazon assume Apple is only new so will not have full functions yet.

johnbower

@ChuckMountain are you saying no Dolby Vision on any Sky Q box?

I know Sky glass can do Dolby vision.

If it is the case Sky Q cannot do it what is the next option if your main TV does not have it?

Would a streaming device like Roku or Firestick do?

Or cast from an Ipad etc?

Anyone using a device other than the main TV and getting full fuctionality?

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
@ChuckMountain are you saying no Dolby Vision on any Sky Q box?

I know Sky glass can do Dolby vision.

If it is the case Sky Q cannot do it what is the next option if your main TV does not have it?

Would a streaming device like Roku or Firestick do?

Or cast from an Ipad etc?

Anyone using a device other than the main TV and getting full fuctionality?

No Sky only recently updated Sky Q boxes to use HDR and then a number of the older hardware versions will still not support it.

Firestick 4K, 4K Max and Cube all support Dolby Vision.

Apple 4K TV Gen 1 and 2 do also support.

Not sure about Roku.

I have Apple 4K TV as well and can get full functionality afaik but use the built in app on the TV.

brighteyes

I was told some time ago when HDR became available, I was told that I would have to wait until I needed to have my Sky Q box replaced to get HDR as my box never had the right hardware installed.
Last month I needed a new box, hooray! but no, I was told they have to supply like for like and if I wanted an HDR box, it will cost me an extra £50 so they gave me another new "old" box. I'm not at all impressed with that reply. Does anyone know of any other options?

Last edited:

brighteyes

No Sky only recently updated Sky Q boxes to use HDR and then a number of the older hardware versions will still not support it.

Firestick 4K, 4K Max and Cube all support Dolby Vision.

Apple 4K TV Gen 1 and 2 do also support.

Not sure about Roku.

I have Apple 4K TV as well and can get full functionality afaik but use the built in app on the TV.
The Roku stick (2021) supports Dolby Vision and HDR10+.

teeveedee

I was told some time ago when HDR became available, I was told that I would have to wait until I needed to have my Sky Q box replaced to get HDR as my box never had the right hardware installed.
Last month I needed a new box, hooray! but no, I was told they have to supply like for like and if I wanted an HDR box, it will cost me an extra £50 so they gave me another new "old" box. I'm not at all impressed with that reply. Does anyone know of any other options?
I had a V2 non-HDR box replaced with a V3 HDR capable box without paying extra for it. It's largely pot luck. Sky's stock control can be pretty shambolic.
HDR on Sky Q isn't great. Sky's own content is all HLG and all the apps are restricted to HDR10, there is no Dolby Vision or HDR10+ on any version of Q box. The apps are locked to either 50 or 60hz so no frame rate matching either.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom