Sky Q

tooley1878

Established Member
Reaction score
Don't know if this is the right place, but I need to swap the TV from one wall to another... But the sky Q box is on the original side. Anyone got an ingenious ideas on hiding the Skyq cable that I extend? It will look crap clipped to the skirting?!?

Cheapest option is something like Amazon product ASIN B07FCQTW1J
Can usually find it in brown or white. Depends how long the run is and what furniture you have to hide parts of it, but you'd generally only notice it if you were looking for it.

In case you go with trunking and want a semi circular rather than box profile, Screwfix was a fair bit cheaper than Amazon when I recently bought a load of this d-line trunking. Use it to run cables to surround and front heights, pack includes 20m trunking plus corner pieces etc. Note they have three different sizes. Looks really good and not too fiddly to install….

D-line Screwfix

Hi, has anyone signed up or upgraded to an HDR skyQ box recently? I'm just wondering if they have any new stock in yet. I phoned sky today and unsurprisingly, they didn't have a clue what I was talking about!
Thanks, Jim

Hi, has anyone signed up or upgraded to an HDR skyQ box recently? I'm just wondering if they have any new stock in yet. I phoned sky today and unsurprisingly, they didn't have a clue what I was talking about!
Thanks, Jim
Sky have put their pricing up lately and I'm coming out of contract at the end of the year. If they don't do a deal then it's simply not worth it. Sky's HDR content and indeed UHD is very very limited and the standard HD image is awful. Save your money unless you get a really good deal.

Much the same, I'm out of contract at the moment too. The SkyQ price is a bit salty so I might jump ship. Also the Sky Q mesh blocked my Unifi units so I ended up hardwiring the sky mini boxes and turning the Sky Q mesh off.
Nothing is simple.

Sky have put their pricing up lately and I'm coming out of contract at the end of the year. If they don't do a deal then it's simply not worth it. Sky's HDR content and indeed UHD is very very limited and the standard HD image is awful. Save your money unless you get a really good deal.
I really appreciate taking the time out to reply guys. Gibbsy u have helped me out a few times now and I really appreciate that mate.

Actually my sky HD image is really good since I upgraded to an LG oled but the recordings on my skyQ box occasionally break up, it is a bit annoying but its something I can live with until sky get more HDR boxes in, then I will get them to replace my old 1st gen box. I don't want to call them until I know they have these back in stock.

So if anyone has upgraded recently, I'd appreciate their help. Thanks again guys.

Much the same, I'm out of contract at the moment too. The SkyQ price is a bit salty so I might jump ship. Also the Sky Q mesh blocked my Unifi units so I ended up hardwiring the sky mini boxes and turning the Sky Q mesh off.
Nothing is simple.
Hi koipin, thank you for your reply.
I've never heard of unifi or sky mesh. Just out of interest, can u enlighten me please?

I've got the 2TB box. Works well enough although at first I did have problems with it shutting down going through my Denon AVR. It seems to have been sorted now, it was a Sky problem. Not had any problems other than that. If you go for SkyQ you will need to take out the UHD option. Sky will also insist that you have at least one of the smaller 1080 boxes for another room at a cost of £14 a month. Again that works really well but I very rarely use it and it's more of an expensive white elephant for me.

They will offer you a deal for upgrading and it's now an 18 month contract.

I've got the 2TB box. Works well enough although at first I did have problems with it shutting down going through my Denon AVR. It seems to have been sorted now, it was a Sky problem. Not had any problems other than that. If you go for SkyQ you will need to take out the UHD option. Sky will also insist that you have at least one of the smaller 1080 boxes for another room at a cost of £14 a month. Again that works really well but I very rarely use it and it's more of an expensive white elephant for me.

They will offer you a deal for upgrading and it's now an 18 month contract.
Wow, that's insane forcing mini boxes on people now. I already have one and use it a lot so that's not a problem for me.
Tbh, sky really look after me when my contract comes to an end. It's the same old process most of us do, phoning and threatening to leave.

Hi koipin, thank you for your reply.
I've never heard of unifi or sky mesh. Just out of interest, can u enlighten me please?
Hi Mate,

SKY Q is a bit different to "normal" Sky in that it communicates with the mini boxes through wifi. Each of the sky boxes (and booster boxes) act as wifi boosters to form a "mesh" throughout the property. Its a decent system to be fair, but I find that Unifi units give me a bit more control over the users and quicker speeds over wifi also.
Sky Q allows users to just plug the mini box into a TV and as long as the wifi is good, you get a connection.

Hi Mate,

SKY Q is a bit different to "normal" Sky in that it communicates with the mini boxes through wifi. Each of the sky boxes (and booster boxes) act as wifi boosters to form a "mesh" throughout the property. Its a decent system to be fair, but I find that Unifi units give me a bit more control over the users and quicker speeds over wifi also.
Sky Q allows users to just plug the mini box into a TV and as long as the wifi is good, you get a connection.
Ahh, ok now you've put it into my layman's terms I understand 😁
When I had the mini box installed they also fitted a booster box half way down the bungalow but I unplugged that and it works fine without. I should stick it up for sale really, it's brand new.
Thanks for helping out mate. Much appreciated.

I'm lucky to be a part of this excellent community, I've learnt a lot and members have always helped me out with help and advice. Thanks guys

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom